The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Can I register without a breeding certificate? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/can-i-register-without-breeding-certificate-96482/)

Kymbadina 08-29-2011 06:56 PM

Can I register without a breeding certificate?

I'm new to all this.. bear with me while I share my story. Last September I bought my gelding. He came with nothing but an expired coggins. Through the past year, I've learned that he's had 3 owners not including the breeder. In chronological order they will be a,b,c. Alright here goes
I did a reverse look up on the owner on his coggins( owner b) got in touch via Facebook. Asked about his his history. Was directed to owner a. Owner a bought him as a yearling from a breeder whom I know name and city. Now, previously owner a had bought a mare in foal to my geldings sire. So his half brother. She said he was a short backyard breeder essentially and had to fight something like 4 months for him to send the sire/dam info and signature to register the foal(my geldings half brother) so fast forward. She bought my gelding from him. He was skinny and in a small shed with metal and trash all around :o so based on the hassle of registering his half brothers she didn't bother registering my gelding. Now. She is sending me a copy of his half Brothers registry so I'll have the sire name.
I'm fully prepared to blow up this guys phone until I get the dams name.
Here's what I'm wondering..can I send off dam and sire name with a blood test to prove his parentage orwill that not work. :( he's a paint. Both parents are registered.
Or can I have a breeding certificate created now? He's 13... I've never registered a horse. I k ow I'm looking at $500 to register..I don't care. I just want to know if its possible to get him registered.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jamzimm101987 08-29-2011 07:02 PM

Depending on the registry, you would likely not be able to do a blood test, but probably a DNA test via hair sample. To be honest, the horse is 13 years old, I would not even both to register him. A breeding certificate would not make an sense hence he's a gelding. Registering horses is great, but really only necessary if you're going to be breeding, or doing a lot of shows. If he's just a backyard horse that you're just trail riding and such I wouldn't waste your time energy or money.

Poco1220 08-29-2011 07:12 PM

You can register him in Pinto if he has markings but you will not be able to register him paint. The former sire owner would have to send in a late breeding certificate and pay the fees then you would have to pay the back money for registration. If the sire owner simply says no or doesn't do it there's nothing you can do about it. Being a gelding registration isn't really that important so if it's just papers you're looking for then go with Pinto.

HGEsquire 09-01-2011 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbadina (Post 1154712)
I'm new to all this.. bear with me while I share my story. Last September I bought my gelding. He came with nothing but an expired coggins. Through the past year, I've learned that he's had 3 owners not including the breeder. In chronological order they will be a,b,c. Alright here goes
I did a reverse look up on the owner on his coggins( owner b) got in touch via Facebook. Asked about his his history. Was directed to owner a. Owner a bought him as a yearling from a breeder whom I know name and city. Now, previously owner a had bought a mare in foal to my geldings sire. So his half brother. She said he was a short backyard breeder essentially and had to fight something like 4 months for him to send the sire/dam info and signature to register the foal(my geldings half brother) so fast forward. She bought my gelding from him. He was skinny and in a small shed with metal and trash all around :o so based on the hassle of registering his half brothers she didn't bother registering my gelding. Now. She is sending me a copy of his half Brothers registry so I'll have the sire name.
I'm fully prepared to blow up this guys phone until I get the dams name.
Here's what I'm wondering..can I send off dam and sire name with a blood test to prove his parentage orwill that not work. :( he's a paint. Both parents are registered.
Or can I have a breeding certificate created now? He's 13... I've never registered a horse. I k ow I'm looking at $500 to register..I don't care. I just want to know if its possible to get him registered.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is this horse thought to be an Arabian?

Denise Gainey