The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Save me from myself! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/save-me-myself-96584/)

Oxer 08-30-2011 05:18 PM

Save me from myself!

4 Attachment(s)
I bought my new horse (the little paint) approx 2 months ago. He's an amazing jumper and he's come a REALLY long way with me. His changes are balanced and his jump is much more appropriate for the fence. Here's my problem: I went from a horse that jumps pretty flat (my warmblood) to a horse that pushes off hard, is very lofty, and has an active hind end. My position has suffered quite a bit and i CANNOT seem to get it under control.
He's such a good boy and he's coming along so well, i don't want to screw it all up by have a painfully pathetic jump position.

Oxer 08-30-2011 05:19 PM

the top three shots are of my new boy. the bottom shot is of my warmblood. sorry the quality isn't so fantastic... they were taking from a vid.

Equilove 08-30-2011 05:29 PM

Why not post the video?

Oxer 08-30-2011 05:52 PM

i can't because i used some colorful language after he jumped the big Swedish oxer at the very end of the course! (he was such a good boy... i yelled "F Yea!!!" at the very end)

equiniphile 08-30-2011 06:03 PM

Can you edit out the sound, or crop the end out?

Oxer 08-30-2011 06:33 PM

i have no idea how to do that... but lemme see if i can edit the vid somehow and post it.

Oxer 08-30-2011 09:32 PM

okay so my trainer doesn't upload her lessons on youtube so the vid is only available through facebook... problem with that is of course, i cannot edit my language at the end of the vid. anyhow... here is a quick clip of him jumping when i first got him. i posted this before so some of you may have seen it already. but it gives you an idea of what is happening with my jumping position.

equiniphile 08-30-2011 09:54 PM

I'm not an expert by any means and am still learning proper two-point myself, but I'll point out what I see.

You need to put more weight through your heels, as you are clenching with your knee/thigh and are not balanced above your leg. On the descent, your toes turned out and your back rounded. You also look to have come down on his back a little hard.

Your horse is a very cute jumper, and you both look very confident over the fence.

MyBoyPuck 08-30-2011 10:09 PM

All I can see from the video is that you don't stay in your two point long enough. He pops you out of the saddle since you appear to be a little behind the motion and then sit down before he's done jumping. Maybe try folding at the hip a little more to keep with his motion better.

ponyjocky 08-30-2011 10:52 PM

Hard isn't it ;) To learn how to be a rider instead of a pilot.

You'll learn to like that powerful jump.