The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   while pregnant (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/while-pregnant-96628/)

tomboy309309 08-31-2011 12:33 AM

while pregnant

i keep arguing with my husband that i can clean out my own horses stall till like the 7th month of pregnancy but he doesnt think i should. i am about 14 weeks pregnant and babysit all the time. i tell him that its heavier to lift a 2 year old then it is to sift horse poop from a stall. i am concerned that soon he wont want me to do anything but sit on the coutch. this is our first child so i understand that he is being protective but how can i convince him that i will be fine and i can do normal things. i understand not riding while pregnant but i still would like to be able to care for my own horse. :?

QOS 08-31-2011 12:56 AM

LOL if he is going to do it, let him. Believe me, once that baby gets here you are going to wish you could just sit on the couch!!:lol: This comes from an old pro mom of 3. I didn't have horses when I was pregnant unfortunately. I guess if you were doing it all along it wouldn't be bad but I can tell you the 3 weeks before my last child was due I stood outside bending over to pick up pecans. OMG - the next day I could barely straighten up. Being pregnant puts a whole new dimension to everything. Enjoy your horse and your pregnancy and let him doing the heavy lifting for now...enjoy the pampering while you can!

tinyliny 08-31-2011 01:04 AM

If you are in good physical condition NOW, then you'll be fine. During the later weeks of your pregnancy the hormones that cause your joints to weaken in preperation for making the birth canal wider will affect all your joints. So it becomes easy to strain your back. The way you feel at 14 weeks is markedly different from the way you feel at 39 weeks!

In any case, congratulations and may all go smoothly for you.

Poco1220 08-31-2011 01:24 AM

I'm currently 24 1/2 weeks pregnant. I still ride nearly every day, clean paddocks, and do all our house and farm work along with taking care of my 2 1/2 year old. With my last pregnancy I rode up until my due date (literally as my son was 3 days late). I never had any issues. It's really a personal preference but as long as I'm comfortable on my horse I'll continue riding. I did give up jumping at about 20 weeks but Saturdays/Sundays are our trail riding days and it takes a decent canter to keep up with my husbands four wheeler on the open stretches, we creek ride, and we road ride - my doctor said not to do more than I was before but to continue doing activities I've done prior to pregnancy is no issue.

AlexS 08-31-2011 01:26 AM

It sounds like he is just worried about you and the baby. For the none horsey people it is scary that we are around such large and potentially dangerous animals.

I have not had a child, so take this for what it is worth - but if I were you, I would stress the importance for you for you to continue to get some exercise. I would also explain the safety precautions that you take, horse out of stall, wheel barrow 1/4 full when you empty it etc etc.

tomboy309309 08-31-2011 01:34 AM

lol yes i do enjoy the pampering and often take advantage of it. XD and i didnt know about the weakening of joints but it makes sense. i plan on paying some one to do job of cleaning the stall when i am about 7 months pregnant. but untill then i plan on caring for my horse as long as i can with out having to pay some one. i just hate paying for somthing that i dont need to. plus i enjoy spending as much time with my horse as i can. when i have to give up the job for a bit i might just sit there and watch the poor person cleaning the sall all like " oh you missed one!" lol pluss it gets me out of the house and makes me get my exercise. XD i will probably just ask the doc when we go. who can ague with the doc?

tomboy309309 08-31-2011 01:39 AM

wow really poco? mmm maybe i can convince him to let me ride as well. lol and thank you for the advice Alex i will have to bring things like the 1/4th full weel barrow. i was wondering how i could convince him with about that. XD

Poco1220 08-31-2011 01:59 AM

Yea. Unless the Dr literally puts me on hospital bed rest they are not keeping me off my horses. My husband is not a horse person but he trusts me judgement and there are days I just don't feel like riding as much or at all. He knows I won't ride if I'm at all uncomfortable.
Posted via Mobile Device

tomboy309309 08-31-2011 02:18 AM

haha nice. XD your hunny should talk to my hunny. give him a lesson on not being over baring. lol he even let me carry grocery bags any more. >_<

Poco1220 08-31-2011 02:41 AM

I was 17 weeks in my avatar pic :) that was at a show and only stallion.
Posted via Mobile Device