The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Determining my Mare's gait (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/determining-my-mares-gait-96665/)

satrider 08-31-2011 02:01 PM

Determining my Mare's gait

First of all I know this is kind of hard (or maybe not) without a picture or video, But at this point I am not able to get either one.
I longed my Mare which I have had for a number of years, but have not ridden her in about 4 years. I will spare the details. She was traveling laterally at a modearete speed, not walking. But her front foot would hit the ground and lifting up and the back foot would just about touch the front at the same time going forward. :? I hope this makes sense.
Can anyone tell me what gait that would be. She rides very smooth, but I do not know what gaits she can perform.:oops:
Thanks a bunch.

WesternSpice 08-31-2011 02:17 PM

The way you describe it, it sounds like a pace. I don't know what breed your horse is, or what past training she has had. But that is what it sounds like. A lot of Standardbreds race that way, it's a strange gait just in between a walk and a trot.

satrider 08-31-2011 02:22 PM

yes, you are describing it the way I see it, between a walk and trott.
She is a registered Pinto, and on her Papers is just says Stock. She has not been trained to gait in any way.

WesternSpice 08-31-2011 02:30 PM

I bought a standardbred mare, she's just come off the track, she was too slow and was rescued from slaughter. I was looking at her track records on trackit, and it says she trots and paces, sometimes she will pace if she's being lazy, so if you give her another kick she'll break into a trot. I have no idea how your horse learned how to, but they're very smart, maybe it's been in her head all along?