The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   real random accident (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/real-random-accident-96705/)

CowgirlsR4Ever300 08-31-2011 10:49 PM

real random accident

So today my gelding went a little crazy. I went to put the bridle on him and he pulled back so hard I had to cut the lead rope. And than he laid down while he was still tied. He just laid there with his saddle on. I've never seen a horse do this. Nor have I ever been scared of a horse until that accident. Cause he caught my shoulder with his hoof and I don't remember much after that:( but I don't think it was his fault I think I did something to spook him?
Posted via Mobile Device

Lakotababii 08-31-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CowgirlsR4Ever300 (Post 1158057)
So today my gelding went a little crazy. I went to put the bridle on him and he pulled back so hard I had to cut the lead rope. And than he laid down while he was still tied. He just laid there with his saddle on. I've never seen a horse do this. Nor have I ever been scared of a horse until that accident. Cause he caught my shoulder with his hoof and I don't remember much after that:( but I don't think it was his fault I think I did something to spook him?
Posted via Mobile Device

wow that is weird. Has he ever pulled back before? Did he seem tense when you saddled him, before you put the bridle on? How did he catch your shoulder, front or back hoof? That is strange to have a horse freak like that with no warning. Hmm I will definitely be interested to see what others think.

AlexS 08-31-2011 10:56 PM

I doubt that he would chose to lay down if he was spooked, I think it is more likely that he is feeling pain from somewhere.
I know you said it was when you were putting on the bridle, but I would guess it is more likely that it is coming from the saddle area.

If I were you, I would apply pressure with your hands to him and see how he reacts.

CowgirlsR4Ever300 08-31-2011 11:00 PM

I'm going to do a full body sweep on him. And he's never pulled since I owned him. But he reared up and when he went down I ended up in contact with his hoof. And it was his front. And he was fine when I saddled him. But I think I personally did something. He's had issues bridling but never did anything like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

CowgirlsR4Ever300 08-31-2011 11:01 PM

My horse honestly does some funny stuff when he spooks or gets scared. Last summer he spooked and sat down like a dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cherie 08-31-2011 11:22 PM

It is not at all unusual for a horse to pull back and keel over rather than jump forward. If they do it once, they are more prone to do it again.

Many things can get this behavior started and pain has nothing to do with any of them. Since you saddled him just before this happened, it is my guess that you may a girthed him up a little too tightly. That is one of the easiest ways I know to get a horse to set back and/or keel over. It is also the way most cinchy horse get that way. Cinchy horses are very prone to set back and keel over if they are girthed up a little to tight all at once. I have a couple of old trail riding horses that I am pretty careful not to tighten them up until they have stood around for a while or walked around until they are gradually girthed up tightly enough. I have 'inherited' every cinchy horse I have ever had and not one that I have saddled and trained from day one have ever done this.

Horses will set back for a number of reasons. I would have to know more about this horse and his background to even venture a guess on his setting back if it is not connected with a tight cinch. But again, quite a few horses that set back will keel over. If they are not choking themselves, I will usually let them stay down until they decide to get up. I have known several that would do this just to be let loose.

Always be sure you tie this horse as high or higher than his withers. They will seldom hurt their necks if they are tied high. If a horse is tied lower than his withers, they can tear or even rupture the ligament in front of their withers. This is know as have a 'pulled down' neck. It is a permanent disfigurement and really ruins a saddle horse. They have this permanent dip in front of their withers and cannot lift their heads and necks very high.

If I have a horse that has set back and particularly one that has fallen over, I will always tie that horse with a 14 foot lead-rope that is run through my tie ring and then tied off to the side in an out-of-the-way place that can be reached and released if the horse goes down and is choking or in real trouble.

Chances are real good that he will do it again.

DrumRunner 08-31-2011 11:26 PM

The best thing you can do it check him everywhere for pain and heat. I've never seen a horse lie down because it got spooked. It has to be another problem. Did he stand up fine or have a hard time with it?

and just a question..Why were you trying to put his bridle on while he was tied to something? That's not a very good situation. Now that he has pulled back he will probably do it again and I do not think you should ever bridle him while he is tied. That puts your horse and you in dangerous position.

CowgirlsR4Ever300 08-31-2011 11:34 PM

Yea I had a dumb moment. I usually untie him and than bridle and take the halter off one I have his bridle on. And I know its dangerous. I had a moment.
And he was fine when he stood up
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsesdontlie 08-31-2011 11:37 PM

I have a horse that goes down occasionally while being saddled. I don't know if it is the same situation. I posted some information on it on this thread

The problems started with minor saddling issues until he went down in cross ties after pulling back. Then it became a huge problem. He still has issues some 4 years later, and occasionally will still go down and stay down.

Read the posts up there in the link, a lot of people put very useful information. It may be nothing like my horse's very odd case but there are a lot of tips!

I suggest saddling not tied for a while. If you can saddle in a round pen with a halter on with no lead. That way if they panic again, the have space and no restrictions.

DrumRunner 08-31-2011 11:42 PM

Good. Ok, little well meant advice so please don't take it the wrong way.
If you don't want to take the halter off of him before you put on his bridle (maybe he tries to walk off or something? I'm not sure) you can leave the lead rope on the halter and take his halter off of his head and buckle it around his neck then put the bridle on him then just unhook the halter and take if off of his neck. That keeps you in control of him, he's not tied, and you don't have to wiggle the halter off his face while it's under his bridle. It puts you both in a better position and you'll stay in control.