The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   flat walk vs running walk (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/flat-walk-vs-running-walk-96795/)

QHDragon 09-01-2011 11:50 PM

flat walk vs running walk

Watching this: Gaits Video

And I am having a hard time seeing the difference between the running walk and the flat walk other than speed and it looks like the back legs reach a little further forward. Is there one?

Guilherme 09-02-2011 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHDragon (Post 1159569)
Watching this: Gaits Video

And I am having a hard time seeing the difference between the running walk and the flat walk other than speed and it looks like the back legs reach a little further forward. Is there one?

No, there really is no difference except speed.

G.

Dark Horse 09-10-2011 05:06 PM

Arrgg...that Performance canter is about the ugliest thing I've seen in a long time. JMO.

vivache 09-10-2011 11:20 PM

Stride is the only difference. Yeah, speed ends up happening, but it's stride you want.

I don't see the performance canter hardly ever, but I'm pretty w-fw-rw.

nightrider7772 09-24-2011 11:51 PM

http://www.horseforum.com/members/26...004-21996t.jpgthis is my tennessee walker and i cant get the rhyme on her, im new in riding

Hennessy 09-25-2011 02:13 AM

I'd never dream of making my Tennessee Walker a performance walker. Do you realize what pain most of those performance walkers go through to make them lift their hooves so ridiculously high? It leaves some of them crippled even.

SaddleDragon 09-25-2011 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hennessy (Post 1183341)
I'd never dream of making my Tennessee Walker a performance walker. Do you realize what pain most of those performance walkers go through to make them lift their hooves so ridiculously high? It leaves some of them crippled even.

This isnt true. Yes some walkers are sored, but its not all of them. There is abuse in any of the diciplines.....the worst Ive seen ( personally) are just trail riders. Does that make trail horses bad? Does that mean all trail riders are abusive? NO.
Please dont generalize like that. It doesnt make you look very intelligent.

HOOFHARDED 09-25-2011 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guilherme (Post 1159843)
No, there really is no difference except speed.

G.

there shouldnt be a noticeable difference except to the rider.

Hennessy 09-25-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddleDragon (Post 1183415)
This isnt true. Yes some walkers are sored, but its not all of them. There is abuse in any of the diciplines.....the worst Ive seen ( personally) are just trail riders. Does that make trail horses bad? Does that mean all trail riders are abusive? NO.

I'm not just talking about soring. Yeah, that's obvious that some are sored. but the overall stress that lifting their limbs ridiculously high brings upon their bodies. If horses were meant to march high like that, they'd do it naturally. Now imagine lifting your limbs high like that whilst carrying a human upon your back that's being stressed from every flexation of your muscles whenever you lift your limbs high like that. That can cause major spinal issues for some horses, and others can end up crippled. In all it's a stressful sport for their bodies. Then of course, so are many others so. ;Shrug.;

gunslinger 09-25-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaddleDragon (Post 1183415)

I agree, just because you can't understand it doesn't in itself make it abusive.

Personally, I'd never ask my horse to do the big lick, but that's my decision.

I'm from walking horse country and grew up around several who trained them to do the big lick. I never saw a horse sored. I'm sure some do it, and they should be dealt with. To think that the big lick itself is cruel or abusive is something I'm not going to agree with.

Each to his own.