The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Go outlaw!! :] (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/go-outlaw-%5D-96796/)

BarrelracingArabian 09-01-2011 11:52 PM

Go outlaw!! :]

Haha alright well little happy moment. So my trainer gi came out to help me with outlaw as he needs a ton of work. So he started out very tense head straight up and prancy. We did one rein figure eights for a good 15 minutes till I got one figure eight at a relaxed walk. Once we got that we did circles on poles to get him to relax and pick up his shoulder on basic circle without trying to take off,once he had that down we moved to the barrels.
Now he started out throwing his shoulder to it and not rating at all. Well we circled it till I got one nice circle at a trot(got it down ace at a walk) and moved to the next barrel,rate him(one rein) and circle a couple times then on to the next one this took 15-20 mins at a trot for him to relax and bend around the barrels and rate. Well then moved on to a canter first barrel didn't wanna rate so worked on that for 10 mins getting rate there then moved on had an ok rate on 2nd and an amazing rate at the third. By the end of the lesson I got a great rate at 1 and 3 and an ok at 2 but he was rounding and not dropping his shoulder much better then he had before :]
So proud of my boy and love my trainer she is such a help and it helps that she has known this horse since he was little so she knows what needs to be done to help him out :]

gigem88 09-02-2011 10:04 AM

Nothing like a good lesson!

BarrelracingArabian 09-02-2011 07:32 PM

definitely :]
In just one lesson with this lady he has improved 200x more then with the 'trainer' I was using before I left last january.I'm super excited for this year.

BarrelracingArabian 09-02-2011 07:58 PM

this is him when I let him out to play before lunging, he was being a butt head so I said 'Get your arse over here!" and pointed to the spot in front of me he turned into me, stopped, blew in my face(that arab snort hah) and looked at me like "yes ma'am!!" haha xD, when I was lunging him he kept a very close eye on me and listened extremly well though :]
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m..._4454978_n.jpg

BarrelracingArabian 09-11-2011 04:42 PM

Finally got outlaws feet done on wednesday and had a short lesson saturday but it was raining so we quit and came back out this morning. He was very relaxed through the whole lesson , got a bit excited and uppity in the canter but soon came right down to my hands and was listening extremly well :] He is making me so proud especially after our not so stellar lesson on sept 5. He was extremly light today and we even got him to crossover a few times with little pressure. Definitely looking froward to this season :]

BarrelracingArabian 09-12-2011 10:15 PM

Sept 12,2011- had yet another amazing day with outlaw. Today I was riding him with pretty much just my seat : ] He's making me soo happy can't waite to compete this year with him

gaelgirl 09-19-2011 10:24 PM

That's great, he is such a handsome boy too.

BarrelracingArabian 09-20-2011 12:44 AM

thank you :]

BarrelracingArabian 09-22-2011 11:51 PM

Well 2 steps forward 3 steps back. Went out to ride outlaw, as i was tacking him up one of the lesson horses tonic fell down and got himself stuck. Had to get him out of the predicament and outlaw got a little freaked form that (mom took him for a walk) When I got on he seemed alright not too worked up was walking fine but still a bit tense. Well once I felt he was relaxed enough I decided to take him through poles once, well he decided he was feeling great and took off full blown running. Took all my strength to get him to stop without falling over (one rein) and then worked his butt off circling and cantering till he wanted to stop then made him go a little longer till I wanted him to stop. I then made him walk out and stop every 5 feet till he was back listening completely to my seat. By the end of the ride he was sweating and a very tired boy. Lets just hope that if I do end up going to the gymkhana on sunday that he isn't such a jerk (won't be in a snaffle thats for darn sure! )

BarrelracingArabian 09-28-2011 01:02 AM

Rode him again today he was really good got a little bit hot but my trainer definitely helped me out. His second barrel is AMAZING his first though we have no rate and he isn't coming onto his butt quite like i want him yet but is definitely better. He is also really bad about diving into it which is another problem we are working on. On his third barrel while he gets around it fairly nicely he rushes it quite a bit but not uncontrollably. So all in all he is definitely improving TONS considering I am acheiving all of this in a simple snaffle I am very proud. Also my trainer hopped on him to teach him a bit more rate and he definitely caught on quick and was atleast trying to give what we wanted.