The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   What do you think of this horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/what-do-you-think-horse-96813/)

teamfire 09-02-2011 01:38 AM

What do you think of this horse?

I'm taking a look at a 9 year old gelding tomorrow. Shown Training Level and apparently being schooled 2nd level dressage. Kind and quiet. What do you think of him?

I'm interested in dressage, so from what you see, is this horse suitable? Could he reach third level, maybe higher with proper training?

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...175292-3-x.jpg

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...ows/jake_3.jpg

And a video: (no critiquing the rider please, as it's not me. Just thoughts on the horse)

What are your thoughts?

tinyliny 09-02-2011 01:58 AM

At first I thought, when seeing the photos only, Wow! I liked him a lot. But the video shows something a bit odd. He is very short strided in his hind legs. As big a guy as he is, he ought to have more reach at the canter. But he moves really short and choppy at the canter. And, at the trot, he is kicking up quite a bit of dust. I know that members often see lameness more often than than not when people post a video for critiqueing, and I could be wrong, too, so I am going to watch the video again and see if my impression is on or off.

tinyliny 09-02-2011 02:00 AM

Ok, not bad going left at canter, but not good going right. left rear leg off?

DraftyAiresMum 09-02-2011 02:23 AM

Tiny, I'm not well-versed in dressage and I saw the same things you did in the vid. Just sayin'...

teamfire 09-02-2011 02:29 AM

There is another video of him in canter (different rider; again, no critiques on her, as it's not me). Do you see the same thing in this video too?

Dressage10135 09-02-2011 02:32 AM

It looks like the right hind to me..

I'm not sure what your price range is OP, but if you are looking for an upper level prospect I would pass on this guy and keep looking. If you give us a price range and an area you are looking I'm sure quite a few of us here would love to help you search for a horse!

teamfire 09-02-2011 02:35 AM

Right now, my budget is no more than $5000. Unfortunately, there are very few dressage horses in my area, particularly at my budget. (and this guy is 5 hours away from me even).

I'm just trying to find a horse to learn dressage on, and move on from lesson horses. At this point, I doubt if I'd ever really ride at those levels, but would be nice to know I have a horse that could possibly.

EDIT: I am in Vancouver, BC Canada, if you are curious. Everyone is a jumper here...

Dressage10135 09-02-2011 03:10 AM

Ok, so I did a little searching and found a couple. These are all closer than that guy but are in Washington state.. I wasn't sure if you were willing to travel into the states but thought I'd post these anyways!

I really like this guy a lot. I actually have seen him in person ( I live in WA) and he seems like a super nice horse. A little over your budget but a lot of times people aren't super strict about that.
Topline Sport Horse Iggy

Not a very good picture and no video on the ad but you can email for one. He sounds nice though.
DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1720812 - Donali

This guy is a little farther away but he has shown more than the other two and is schooling 2nd level. Also, Jim Briggs is known around here for being a good trainer. Again, no video but you could certainly email for one.
DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1718458 - Ob A Zan

This horse is VERY fun to ride in my opinion. I almost bought him when I was horse shopping a while back. I actually regret not looking into him further. She has video of him and I believe a couple other horses that would fit your criteria as well.
DreamHorse.com Horse ID: 1698663 - The Right Prize

Hope those help some! Feel free to PM me if you want if you have any questions.

ETA: It looks like the last horse has sold. But here is the website: http://www.jordanlinstedteventing.co...ss/?page_id=31

It looks like she has a couple that might be worthwhile looking in to. I would give her a call and tell her what you are looking for. If she doesn't have it, she might know someone who does. I really liked talking with her when I was shopping myself!

teamfire 09-02-2011 03:22 AM

I do appreciate your help and will take a good look at the horses you've provided. I'm fine with the horse being from the States, provided it's not too far.

But as I'm seeing this horse tomorrow (appointment's done and all, and I gain more horse shopping experience this way), I'm still curious about him. Is what you're seeing a conformational fault? Is he lame? Was it in the second video? What could be causing it?

Dressage10135 09-02-2011 03:25 AM

Its hard to tell from the video exactly why he's off, but it sure looks like he is to me. I couldn't tell you if he's lame or if its just the way he is built. I saw it in the second video as well, just not as noticeable as in the first one.

There could be many different causes so without a vet taking a look at him I could only make guesses. When you go look at him, make sure you take a lot of pictures and video if possible!