The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   alfalfa and thoroughbreds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/alfalfa-thoroughbreds-96855/)

MelissaAnn 09-02-2011 03:48 PM

alfalfa and thoroughbreds

Hi everyone! I am leasing a 7 year old OTTB. He is a little underweight due to colicing twice in a short amount of time over the spring. His owner has him on beet pulp, alfalfa, and a weight gain supplement from smartpak and he is gaining his weight back. A lady the boards where he is kept made the comment, "I would never give alfalfa to a thoroughbred". Of course, she doesnt HAVE a thoroughbred so I want to attribute this to OTTB's bad reputation. But have any of you guys ever experienced any negative effects when their thoroughbred gets alfalfa on a regular basis?

Delfina 09-02-2011 04:07 PM

Most TB's I know get Alfalfa regularly as they are hard keepers and it helps them keep weight on. Only one of them is a psychotic basket case and it's not the alfalfa, it's the constant coddling and excuses for nasty behavior by her owner, that causes that!

My Morgan is on free choice Alfalfa, he's literally eating almost a small bale a day. He's way calmer now than when he was on grass hay and couldn't eat enough to maintain his weight.

verona1016 09-02-2011 04:08 PM

I can understand why she'd have that opinion- thoroughbreds have a reputation for having "hot" personalities, and alfalfa has a reputation for supplying a "hot" energy. Feeding alfalfa to a TB seems like it would be a bad combination.

However, those are just stereotypes and don't necessarily to every TB or every horse that eats alfalfa.

My horse is a TB mix and he gets alfalfa pellets with his grain twice daily and he's incredibly mellow.

It's really up to the individual horse. If you're feeding alfalfa and you notice that your horse is acting high strung, then you might want to try replacing it with something else and seeing if that makes a difference. But, if it's helping him gain weight and you're not having problems with his behavior then stick with it!

bpegasus 09-04-2011 04:05 PM

Feeding Alfalfa to Throughbreds

I have a 13 yr old Throughbred Mare Jenny when I got her 8 months ago she was very underweight everyone told me not to feed her alfalfa that it would make her hot. Well I did research and found that is a myth. Jenny looks awesome now and is just as mellow as my QH.

bpegasus 09-04-2011 04:08 PM

Hay!!! Its Woody!!!! I know who this is lol!!!! Its Becca from the Barn :)

verona1016 09-05-2011 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bpegasus (Post 1162040)
Hay!!! Its Woody!!!! I know who this is lol!!!! Its Becca from the Barn :)

Hey Becca! I was wondering if I'd run into anyone I knew here! :D

Jessabel 09-05-2011 02:17 PM

I think that lady's a little goofy and obviously doesn't know what she's talking about.

I've never heard any food having a negative effect on a particular breed of horse. That's just weird.