The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   What are gaited horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/what-gaited-horses-96892/)

paigeyluvv 09-02-2011 11:13 PM

What are gaited horses?

i see slot about gaited horses. but i dont know what the difference between them and regular horses are...

bubba13 09-02-2011 11:16 PM

They have different--additional--gaits from the standard walk/trot/canter/gallop, such as the pace or foxtrot, and are said to be smoother to ride.

bubba13 09-02-2011 11:31 PM

Examples:

Paso Fino

Standardbred

Tennessee Walker

Fox Trotter

Icelandic

Saddlebred

(many of these clips show exaggerated forms of the breeds' gait, some of which are controversial)

Amber and Mac 09-02-2011 11:41 PM

Excuse my ignorance since I know little to nothing about Gaited horses.
I'm not quite sure how to word this but do these Gaits come naturally to these breeds or do they train them those specific gaits. I'm now just learning about all different gaits and such too. Like the TWH, That cannot be natural seeing as they have those gigantic shoes on (i think they do?) So do they mostly only do those for shows? I've seen some TWH with a normal walk but i know nothing so yeah.

bubba13 09-02-2011 11:46 PM

I don't know a ton about gaited horses either, but most of the gaits are natural in that the horse is born with it in a "raw" form. (You can't train a regular horse to do a lot of those motions, for sure, as they lack the gene that gives the gait.) But then the gaits are enhanced and manipulated by training or the use of synthetic "aids" (or frequently cruelty), such as the giant padded shoes in the TWH video.

Amber and Mac 09-03-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1160716)
I don't know a ton about gaited horses either, but most of the gaits are natural in that the horse is born with it in a "raw" form. (You can't train a regular horse to do a lot of those motions, for sure, as they lack the gene that gives the gait.) But then the gaits are enhanced and manipulated by training or the use of synthetic "aids" (or frequently cruelty), such as the giant padded shoes in the TWH video.

Ohhh, I see! It makes a little for sense for me now ;p
I did look up the shoes the TWH wears and I am definitely against it.

colette 09-03-2011 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1160696)

That's AMAZING! Are they born with those gaits, or did people train them? That's amazing! I had never seen videos with gaited horses before! :shock::shock::shock:

AKBarbWire 09-03-2011 02:23 AM

double post

AKBarbWire 09-03-2011 02:27 AM

OK, TWH's don't move that way without extensive training, also, "big lick" showing is very controversial and not accepted by most TWH owners.

Here is a beautiful walking horse, with a natural gait going as intended.

candandy49 09-03-2011 09:04 AM

Other than the Quarter Horses which I have the most experience with and some grade horses that do only the walk, "bounce" trot and canter,lope and gallop I have also owned a Tennessee Walking Horse. He was terrific to ride. He was a 13 year old when I got him and didn't think he ever had the weighted front shoes of a "big lick" gait. I also had the opportunity to ride 2 different Missouri Foxtrotters, a 3-gaited American Saddlebred and a 5-gaited American Saddlebred.

The gaited horse breeds by genetics are "programed" to display their specific gaits from the day they are born.