The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Show Clothing (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/)
-   -   what kind of body protector to get?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-show-clothing/what-kind-body-protector-get-96902/)

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 09-03-2011 12:12 AM

what kind of body protector to get??

I am just healing from a bad accident which involved 8 broken ribs and damaged internal organs. I am ready to get back in the saddle but I would like to buy some kind of body protection vest. What does everyone recommend? My local tack store carries the Tipperary Eventer ones and I like the look of them but from what research I have done they do not seem to be certified. I just trail ride but my horse is young and rather green so chances are I will be taking another fall at some point. I am an older rider too if that makes any difference.

jinxremoving 09-03-2011 03:35 PM

I'm also in the market for a vest, and found out from this forum a while back about the Tipperary eventer vests not being certified. (Crazy if you ask me given how popular they are with riders!) You basically want to find a vest that is BETA Level 3 (UK) or ASTM F1937 (US) certified which offers the best protection. I can't find an article for the US, but here's one from the UK that explains their levels:

British Equestrian Trade Association - Body protection made easy

I have no experience with this brand, but Airoware seems to be highly recommended on this forum:

Airowear Ltd :: Outlyne Body Protector

ARTEMISBLOSSOM 09-03-2011 07:59 PM

Thank You Jinx I will check them out

MyBoyPuck 09-20-2011 09:36 PM

I have an Airowear and love it. It's weird. When I first put it on, it feels so huge, but I quickly forget I have it on. It's custom sizing. I ordered mine from the UK complete in custom colors and paid about $240 including shipping. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for good protection. It even has optional shoulder pads that reduce the risk of breaking a collar bone by 80%. Good stuff for older folks who don't bounce so much anymore!

waresbear 09-22-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1179736)
I have an Airowear and love it. It's weird. When I first put it on, it feels so huge, but I quickly forget I have it on. It's custom sizing. I ordered mine from the UK complete in custom colors and paid about $240 including shipping. I would highly recommend it for anyone looking for good protection. It even has optional shoulder pads that reduce the risk of breaking a collar bone by 80%. Good stuff for older folks who don't bounce so much anymore!

That is an amazing price MYP! Do you have the link for the company you got yours from?

MIEventer 09-22-2011 01:24 PM

Any vest that is ASTM certified and meets BETA Level 3 safety standards. Whether that be the Flex Rider, Charles Owen, Rhodney Powell or the Airowear. They are all designed about the same, with the solid body and the optional shoulder guards.

They all feel the same to me when I put them on, you soon forget they are on. All are just as comfortable to me, as the next. I personally like the Rhodney Powell. That's the one I am going to purchase. I currently have the Flex Rider - I soon forget it is on when I am wearing it.

waresbear 09-22-2011 07:48 PM

Scrolled up, found the link, thanks.

MyBoyPuck 09-22-2011 08:01 PM

Amira Equi Ltd. Body Protectors

I got my vest from this store. Very good service. I must have called them 3 times to verify my sizing. I was so worried about ordering custom, but it fits so well, it really paid off.

waresbear 09-22-2011 08:08 PM

Right on, thanks!

jinxremoving 09-23-2011 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1181635)
Amira Equi Ltd. Body Protectors

I got my vest from this store. Very good service. I must have called them 3 times to verify my sizing. I was so worried about ordering custom, but it fits so well, it really paid off.

How long did it take to order from Amirashop?