The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Koolaid in the horses water? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/koolaid-horses-water-96936/)

donatellodemerlieux 09-03-2011 02:14 PM

Koolaid in the horses water?

Over the summer, I had my horse at the county fair for the week. I often saw the people stalled across from me putting koolaid mix in their horses water buckets. (Atleast I think it was koolaid, it was in the koolaid container, but maybe it was something else just stored in the koolaid container) Is there a reason to do this? I know we put electrolytes in our horses water on the harder days where they'd be sweating a ton.

tinyliny 09-03-2011 02:34 PM

horses can be really picky about the taste of their water. The water there might taste markedly different from the water at home, so masking the taste with a fruity , sugary taste like Koolaid will help ensure that they drink enough.

lilruffian 09-03-2011 02:36 PM

I've heard of people doing that to make sure their horse stays hidrated at a show. They put it in the water back home & then in the water at a show so that it tastes the same to the horse no matter where he goes.

donatellodemerlieux 09-03-2011 03:00 PM

Ohh! Duh! Thanks guys!

MHFoundation Quarters 09-03-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1161138)
horses can be really picky about the taste of their water. The water there might taste markedly different from the water at home, so masking the taste with a fruity , sugary taste like Koolaid will help ensure that they drink enough.

This. I have some picky ones, I'm also in the hoosier state donatello, there are some grounds with water I wouldn't shower in let alone drink...there is one that comes to mind that has the worst sulphur/rotten egg water ever. I don't use kool-aid but use gatorade powder, changes the taste & adds electrolytes.

donatellodemerlieux 09-04-2011 12:19 AM

Great idea MHF! I often wish my horse would drink a little more at shows, and the electrolyte powder I usually buy is soo expensive. I've DEFINETLY doing that from now on! And I agree, some of our water is nasty stuff.

IDKY 09-10-2011 03:40 PM

We give our guys gatorade when we feel they aren't drinking enough at home or at shows. We usually put a large scoop in one bucket and leave the other bucket plain so they have a choice (cause gawd forbid, they may not like that flavor) and we also give them a scoop dry in their grain buckets to encourage them to drink.

Allison Finch 09-10-2011 04:02 PM

We used to do that at every show, but we would use gatorade. Just make sure you hang two buckets...one the mix and one just water. Sometimes they just don't go for the mix and you need to have water, too.

DrumRunner 09-11-2011 12:48 AM

I also use Gatorade or Powerade... Both of mine drink more when it's mixed in their water, and they have gotten picky lol Hickory likes the blue kind and Nikki likes the red ones..Crazy horses, but hey, whatever works.

Brighteyes 09-11-2011 01:16 AM

I use kool aid and more to get horses to drink! You can add the following to water to meet your picky, thirsty equine needs: powered molasses, powered sports drinks of various colors (you have to experiment to see which favors they like!), apple juice concentrate (the frozen kind is great), V8 juice, alfalfa pellets (a little bit, soaked and crushed), apple cider vinegar...

If you try favored water with your horse, hang two buckets: the favored stuff and one bucket of normal water in case they don't like the favored stuff.