The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   trouble with her mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/trouble-her-mane-9698/)

sempre_cantando 06-04-2008 01:26 AM

trouble with her mane

Hi Everyone

Ever since I can remember, my horse's mane has grown partially on both sides instead of just one - the bottom half (near her wither) is over her left side, while the upper part (near her head) insists on lying on her right side. I have tried just pushing it all onto the left side but it only works temporarily. Is there anyway to train it to all go on the one side?

thanks!

Horses_Forever 06-04-2008 02:13 AM

Ever tried braiding it?

I did that once with my sisters paint mare. Her mane always went to the left and I thought it would look much better on the right because she has such a beautiful mark that is hidden by her mane. So, I combed it over to the right and braided it. After a week or two and a few re-braidings it eventually stayed to the right. She looks so gorgeous now!

Thunder Paws 06-04-2008 04:06 AM

Re: trouble with her mane

and if braiding doesn't work, after washing your horse mane braid it while wet and at some weight to the bottom of the braids like beads

sempre_cantando 06-04-2008 04:52 AM

So if I braid or weight it on the left for a few weeks, will it stay there permanently?

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-04-2008 09:04 AM

It should. :lol: If you don't want to braid it you could just do small ponytails with out the braids too. You are going to be "training" the hair to lay on one side. So after a while it will want to so that anyways.

WSArabians 06-04-2008 02:39 PM

I had a gelding who's mane did the same thing, only halfway up his neck.

I took some small braiding elastics, flipped the mane to the side that I wanted, and put little "pony tails" in his mane for three weeks. I didn't braid it because I didn't want it curly.

It stayed all on one side for a few weeks, then went over again.
You might have to do it every few weeks, but at least it'll stay for a few weeks.

It's sort of like have a cow-lick... once you've got it there's really nothing you can do about it but keep on top of it, unfortnately. :)

irisheyes12 06-04-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sempre_cantando
So if I braid or weight it on the left for a few weeks, will it stay there permanently?

No, some horses are born with a mane that lays all on one side and some are not...just the way things are. There is no way to train it to always stay on one side unfortunately.