The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Allergic to horses? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/allergic-horses-97024/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-04-2011 02:29 PM

Allergic to horses?

This isn't about me, but my boyfriend. When he comes over to my house, we usually go play around with my horses together. Well he always ends up sniffling and his eyes are red a watery and his forehead breaks out. So we thought it was the hay, but one day he came by and unloaded some hay, and was fine. So now we think it's the horses themselves. Well he is really wanting to get a horse and try team roping...so my question is, is there anything ya'll could think of that may make it easier to be around horses? Thanks..
Posted via Mobile Device

pintophile 09-04-2011 03:10 PM

I used to have horrible, horrible allergies. Still do to some extent, but before it was like, weeks taken out of my year because I was too sick to leave the house.

Believe it or not, I used to be extremely allergic to horses. I don't know how or why, but for some reason over the years, as I've spent more time with horses, the allergy has really just...disappeared.

What always got me (and still does) really sick is horses who are really hairy, are shedding, and have a lot of dandruff. Besides that, I am generally not too bad. Perhaps this could be setting off your boyfriend's severe reaction?

As soon as he comes in from working with the horses, get him to take a shower and wash all the dandruff and horsey particles off before they really get a chance to set in. That should help.

If his allergy is really bad and normal medication isn't helping, I would highly recommend allergy shots. They're a pain, 'cause you have to take them consistently every week until they're done, but they help a LOT. I took them a few years back and was allergy-free for a whole glorious year.

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-04-2011 05:35 PM

He take benedryll, but maybe if he takes it before it would help? And I do my best to keep my horses brushed and washed lol. But I also make him wash his hands and face when we come in. (Can't take a shower) lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 09-04-2011 05:38 PM

Get a new boyfriend, plenty of them out there.

Mocha26 09-04-2011 06:41 PM

My friend is allergic to my horse too. I make her take her meds before we go riding. And take another when we get back. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

lilruffian 09-04-2011 08:09 PM

My friend's ex is allergic but he's ridden horses nearly all his life. He just can't pet them alot or be in a small space (like a vehicle) with a saddle pad.

equiniphile 09-04-2011 08:14 PM

My mom is allergic to every animal we have, plus mold, hay, and pollen. And we live on a farm. She manages it with allergy shots.

IslandWave 09-04-2011 08:22 PM

What about cats? Barns tend to have a few mousers, so maybe he's reacting to them?

aforred 09-04-2011 08:51 PM

I'm allergic to horses hay and a bunch of other stuff. If I take my Claritin EVERY day, I'm fine. If I miss a day, I can really tell.
Posted via Mobile Device

palominolover 09-04-2011 09:04 PM

If all else fails hew can get a Bashkir Curly =)