The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   M-T-G alternatives (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/m-t-g-alternatives-97027/)

LilMizSpiky 09-04-2011 02:41 PM

M-T-G alternatives

Hi, im starting part loaning a Welsh C in two weeks and hes got a short Mohawk style mane and a thin tail from them by being chewed and bitten by its previous compaions would love for it to be longer and thicker (please no criticism for that, i think it an English thing, :-? ).

I would love to use M-T-G but... Im in England and it cost a small fortune -23.50 or $38.11!!! So what else can i do to help his mane and tail grow as much a possible- techniques and products.

Milly :D

P.S. Not ridiculously long so it trails on the floor though!

DejaVu 09-05-2011 12:59 PM

I've heard of some people getting results with coconut oil.
I've never used it, but from my research, it really hydrates the manes and tail well, smells better, and doesn't leave any residue at all, whereas MTG really leaves a nasty, greasy residue.

Hydrated and healthy manes and tails= less breakage, open pores, and faster, healthier growth.

Jamzimm101987 09-05-2011 01:31 PM

Try using olive oil products. Check in the section at the store for African American people. Their hair is very dry and needs to be moisturized. Also, apply these products, then leave the mane and tail alone. Don't brush it except in rare occasions that it's been washed, conditioned, detangler, and dried. The more you brush it, the more you damage it.

Nell 09-05-2011 11:11 PM

Hope this helps

Hey Milly,

Whenever you float your horse, put his tail in a tail bag or wrap it so that he can't rub it on the door or bum bar of the float...As with the mane, not sure what to do except to just let it grow it and be patient...

:)

Nell

kayleeloveslaneandlana 09-05-2011 11:15 PM

Subbing!

aforred 09-06-2011 12:45 AM

This is a product that I've had a lot of success with, as far as improving the quality of the hair.
Hair Moisturizer

I'm not sure if you can get that there, but you might be able to find something comparable. I've also used Infusium23 leave-in conditioning spray. It's made for humans and it's cheap, but I don't know if you can get that either :?

There are lots of things you can try, and I wish you luck!

PS Make sure your horse is getting all the proper hair-building essential amino acids he needs in his diet.

Jamzimm101987 09-07-2011 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aforred (Post 1163618)
this is a product that i've had a lot of success with, as far as improving the quality of the hair.
hair moisturizer

i'm not sure if you can get that there, but you might be able to find something comparable. I've also used infusium23 leave-in conditioning spray. It's made for humans and it's cheap, but i don't know if you can get that either :?

There are lots of things you can try, and i wish you luck!

Ps make sure your horse is getting all the proper hair-building essential amino acids he needs in his diet.

i love healthy hair!! Amazing stuff!!! :d

ElizabethClem 09-09-2011 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamzimm101987 (Post 1162902)
Try using olive oil products. Check in the section at the store for African American people. Their hair is very dry and needs to be moisturized. Also, apply these products, then leave the mane and tail alone. Don't brush it except in rare occasions that it's been washed, conditioned, detangler, and dried. The more you brush it, the more you damage it.

I tried does that method with my boy Cause so many people suggested that. I don't if its just because he's a Saddlebred or what but He ended up getting dreadlocks at the base of his tail because its getting so long, because I'm mostly growing that out for thickness rather then other ASB owners for large length

With mine, I brush actually 2-3 times a week with a human brush (not a horse I noticed they do rip a lot of hair out) but, I also use conditioner. White Rain- Apple Blossem from the dollar store to be exact because its for one cheap- and i noticed its not to hard on his tail and really noticed it is helping with the base of his tail letting it grow out more. For a fuller look, although, Since he's an ASB getting it thick to the bottom is the long waiting tool. But don't use too much conditioner cause it does give it a nasty feeling and I put conditioner in, work it through my hands a little bit to get to the base then brush it (halfish gently) then let the conditioner soak in a bit letting him eat grass or just doing something with him then I brush it once more. Right now with random raining I haven't put it up but I plan on doing so in the winter if I can find some sort of waterproof tailbag. but for now its in a braid and i put rubber bands at the top to keep the base together cause as well as the base getting so long... he poops in it.. yum.

I have no help for you with a mane, cause well just say a moving horse with cutting his mane was a bad idea, right now it looks like its being grown out from being roached. XD

Really hope that my rambling was at least slightly helpful

Dreamcatcher Arabians 09-09-2011 02:05 AM

I'm sure you have a human Beauty Supply store in England, so go there and find a really gentle daily shampoo to wash the mane and tail out with so that they are clean right down to the skin and tail bone. Then also get a really heavy conditioner, I use one called Kolestral from Sally's Beauty Supply here in the US. It looks like mayonaise but smells better and I rub that into the mane and tail once a week after shampooing. I wrap the tail and neck and stand the horse in the sun or apply heat from a blow dryer (to the wrapping only, not the hair of the mane or tail itself) and give them a hot oil treatment for about 10 mins. Then I rinse out with warm water and let dry. I put the tail in a tail bag and once the mane gets long enough I braid it in several fairly loose braids.

I have Arabians and Saddlebreds and you know that we're the most obsessive long mane and tail people ever! LOL!

ElizabethClem 09-09-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1167121)
I have Arabians and Saddlebreds and you know that we're the most obsessive long mane and tail people ever! LOL!

Yes they are.. <,<:lol: