The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Turning a Horse Out w/Lead Rope (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/turning-horse-out-w-lead-rope-97064/)

csimkunas6 09-04-2011 09:55 PM

Turning a Horse Out w/Lead Rope

Has anyone turned their horse out in a round pen, or an arena with a lead rope attached? Someone told me to do this with Rodeo today just so he could learn where his lead rope, and feet were. And to prevent him from stepping on it, or overreacting when he did step on it.

I think Ive seen a natural horsemen do this on RFD-TV before, but dont quote me on that.

Personally, I have mixed feelings on it. Let me know what you think, or your experiences with this.

Thanks

WesternSpice 09-04-2011 09:58 PM

I've done it before. I would use a nylon lead though. It definitely does help prevent the blow ups when it happens.

Red Gate Farm 09-04-2011 09:58 PM

I've seen this done for the reasons you state.

I would like to point out the lead rope was a soft cotton twist rope, not a flat nylon rope. The nylon tends to rub off the hair and the skin on legs if they get caught in it.

Plus you wouldn't do this with an unsupervised horse in case of emergencies.

csimkunas6 09-04-2011 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternSpice (Post 1162358)
I've done it before. I would use a nylon lead though. It definitely does help prevent the blow ups when it happens.

Thank you....Ive been considering doing it....as I really dont want him to overreact if he ever happens to step on it, although I am very careful that he doesnt.

csimkunas6 09-04-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Gate Farm (Post 1162360)
I've seen this done for the reasons you state.

I would like to point out the lead rope was a soft cotton twist rope, not a flat nylon rope. The nylon tends to rub off the hair and the skin on legs if they get caught in it.

Plus you wouldn't do this with an unsupervised horse in case of emergencies.

All I have is a cotton twist rope....would you suggest using a nylon, or a leather halter? Do you think it is really worth doing? Thanks!!

WesternSpice 09-04-2011 10:05 PM

Trust me, better safe than sorry. -_- I learned that the hard way, ended up with snapped reins.

Equilove 09-04-2011 10:12 PM

I would use a rope halter with a stiff lead. You know the ones that are nearly impossible to tie?

csimkunas6 09-04-2011 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equilove (Post 1162384)
I would use a rope halter with a stiff lead. You know the ones that are nearly impossible to tie?

Yes!!! I cant stand those **** things!!!

natisha 09-04-2011 10:26 PM

I did it with one of my mares who decided to frequently attack another for no reason. The rope was heavy & thick so it couldn't wrap around a leg. It was adjusted in length to not touch the ground at normal gaits but when she dropped & snaked her head to attack she would step on it & stop. She stopped attacking.
I should also add that this mare was already very well halter broke & trained to tie.
The turnout area was also free of any obstructions & flat.

Equilove 09-04-2011 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csimkunas6 (Post 1162404)
Yes!!! I cant stand those **** things!!!

Haha well they're nifty for times like these when you need something that won't wrap around a leg ;)