The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   15.2? 16.1?! What? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/15-2-16-1-what-9707/)

SonnyWimps 06-04-2008 09:33 AM

15.2? 16.1?! What?

When I bought Sonny the lady said he was 15.2 hands...all good he was the height I was looking for...his back was as tall as me (I'm 5 foot 2 inches) and I was happy.
When the lesson girls that I ride with convinced the instructor to measure all the horses to see their heights. They measured Sonny as well since he was inside and they said that he wasn't 15.2....that he was 16.1! What's the possibility of him actually being 16.1 or him being 15.2.
Alot of the horses measured up higher than I thought they were. The one morgan got 16 hands...the one Paint I used to ride (which is ALOT smaller than Sonny...more than just 0.1 hand) was measured at 16 hands

farmpony84 06-04-2008 10:02 AM

where were they measuring? at the withers AND were they looking above the line or below it... also, how old was Sonny when you bought him? QH's can grow heightwise for like 5-7 years and widthwise for up to 10 years... I know he's a registered paint I think is what you said but he looks like he has a lot of QH in him.

SonnyWimps 06-04-2008 10:17 AM

from the ground to the highest part of his withers.
They were using some metal measuing stick, one that I've never seen before...one that I couldn't even figure out how to use hehe

He'll be 10 next Tuesday. His dam was a QH, his sire was a Paint and on his Sire's side (I think) there was Sonny Dee Bar who was a QH. He has mostly QH in his bloodlines.

Would getting a picture of me up against him show what size he is? I'm 5 foot 2 soooo that would be 62 inches....how tall is 15.2 hands and 16.1 hands?

Vidaloco 06-04-2008 10:36 AM

I think it depends on what your measureing him with. I just have a weight/height tape and I don't think its that accurate. I just use it as a "sort of" measurement. The solid type measurers with the bar that slides up and down to the withers is a lot more accurate.

Vidaloco 06-04-2008 10:40 AM

Sorry forgot to add this a hand is 4 inches so if a horse if 15.2 he is 62 inches thats 15x4=60 plus 2 inches makes 62
Heres a web site that has some measuring info
http://www.cowboyway.com/HowTo/HorseHeight.htm

SonnyWimps 06-04-2008 10:41 AM

that was the type they used....but what they did was the got the size and then put the measuring tape up to the stick and then saw what the tape said

Vida, how do you use the metal measuring one? I couldn't understand how to use it at all...I know you put the thing on the withers...get the bubble thing in the middle so it's even and it should say the height...but I just don't get it hehe...maybe i"m missing something

Vidaloco 06-04-2008 10:45 AM

Sorry Sonny I can't help you out I've never used one.

farmpony84 06-04-2008 11:20 AM

you measure under the bar, like if its the stick with the level bar, it's under it, not above it... take a tape measure to him, a hand is 4 inches... but yeah, stand next to his withers and take a pic, I'm 5-2 also so we can gauge by that.

SonnyWimps 06-04-2008 11:56 AM

I believe it was an error on the kids and the instructors part....I just find it hard to believe that he's 16.1...I could be wrong though. I'll get a picture of me standing by his withers hopefully tomorrow...depends if I can either set it up myself to take the picture or I need someone to take the pic (and can find someone to take it for me)

PoptartShop 06-04-2008 12:22 PM

Hmm maybe he grew? :? But then again idk, some measuring sticks/tape vary.