The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   My first fall (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/my-first-fall-97078/)

happy8star 09-04-2011 11:36 PM

My first fall

I fell off today. I was going for a trail ride with my instructor. She was in front with a horse she was riding, and I was riding her horse. We decided to canter (my favorite thing ever!) The horse she was riding started cantering, and Reily kind of went "oh shoot Bosney is going lets GO!" and jumped into a canter. For some reason, I couldn't hold on. It happened so fast, but so slow. I made a grab for his mane. There was nothing I would do. I fell off. It hurt really bad, but luckily nothing was broken. My instructor walked me back to Reily then I hopped back on and she took me to the arena to do a lap of cantering. Im not mad at anyone, im kind of... happy xD is that bad? Now I have 4 (i've been stepped on, been on a horse when they spooked, held a horse when they spooked, and fallen) on the 'list' lol. My lower back hurts really bad and I can hardly walk. I have a feeling im going to be sore tomorrow!!

horseloverd2 09-05-2011 07:33 AM

Haha. Well I've always thought that you aren't a true rider until you've fallen off. Congrats on your first fall - you never forget it. Eventually you get so good at it you start mastering it... usually when I fall I land on my feet. That takes more talent than staying on. :lol:

happy8star 09-05-2011 09:49 AM

lol thanks. And wow.

MHFoundation Quarters 09-05-2011 09:58 AM

I'll second the congrats on getting the first one out of the way. Sounds like you handled it very well. Glad you weren't hurt. They say it takes 100 falls to be a rider, now just 99 more to go :lol:

Celeste 09-05-2011 03:22 PM

You are now officially in the club!

Puddintat 09-05-2011 03:43 PM

I'm glad you're not hurt. If you can, take an warm epsom salt bath tonight to help prevent any soreness in the next few days.

I know what you mean about being glad about the fall. Sometimes its worse thinking about "what could happen" vs. just getting it over with, so to speak. ha ha :razz:

outnabout 09-05-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by happy8star (Post 1162468)
There was nothing I would do. I fell off.

Congratulations! And just think, there are more to look forward to!

Put ice on your back tonight... it works wonders.

happy8star 09-05-2011 04:23 PM

lol Celeste.
Yeah I took one last night it really helped alot.

Thanks guys!

happy8star 09-06-2011 11:35 AM

Ouch today is the worst. My leg hurts and a muscle right under my ear. It's not fun.

x Bustie and Alli x 09-06-2011 12:15 PM

Welcome to the club!

I've stopped trying to remember how many times I've fallen off... Remember the first time I fell off I was cantering, lost my balance, grabbed the side of the arena and... wham! Took the breath straight outa me. Still have no idea why I grabbed the wall... lol Best cure for me is to get straight back on and forget it ever happened! (As well as a nice long soak that evening :P )