The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Training programs _ FRIENDLY DISCUSSION (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/training-programs-_-friendly-discussion-9710/)

farmpony84 06-04-2008 11:07 AM

Training programs _ FRIENDLY DISCUSSION

I don't want an argument, but I see alot of people are very opinionated on training programs and what not... I'm curious about why's and examples of success...

I'll start by saying, I personally like using a one on one trainer that knows me and my horse. It is what really works for me.

I do like watching the horse channel, I watch alot of riding, there is a down-under horseman show i like. I take what I think will work for me and run with it.

I have a friend that was hugely into Parelli, actually I know several people that are, one has a friesian percheron cross, it doesnt stand and I don't know if it's her interperation of the program ro what but she says it's dangerous to tie a horse and there are better ways to train them to stand... ok, that's been two years...

Another friend had to sell her hrose because it was to rotten, she had this understanding that if the horse didnt want to do something, they you do something else, or you put the horse away and try again when it's more willing... It could be interperation issues, but even so, that proves to me anyhow, that the program doesnt work for everyone because understanding is important.... Anyhow, the hrose learned that if it bucked, it didnt have to work because she'd put it away. She is on another really nice horse now and having the same issues....because if he doesnt want to work in the ring, they go on trail... that's a treat for him, I personally believe then that he should work to earn his trail treat....

I have other friends as well, where the horses are deciding how things are goign to be done becuase taht is how they are interperating the program and they believe they have a stronger bond because of it... I don't....

Now agian, I believe that there are programs for everyone and things taht work for everyone, I'm not trying to tell people whats wrong or right, I'm just trying to get people to hear my points... you dont ahve to agree, but ... I'm not wrong, I'm right, for me....

Anyhow, opinions on your fave training programs and ways to learn??? PLEASE KEEP IT FRIENDLY!!!

appylover31803 06-04-2008 11:23 AM

I use Parelli with my horse. I do not agree with the way the people train at my barn and since they don't allow outside trainers, i decided to find something that worked for me, that i could easily understand (I can be a blonde at times to the simpler it is, the better :lol: )

When i first started working with Vega, i would fly through everything and Vega got very confused and would refuse to work. I stopped for a bit, collected myself and ended on a good note. Even if it was walking with her and her stopping when i stopped. I would review the DVDs and have a whole game plan for the next time i would go out there.

I have seen a great improvement in her as far as her listening to me, and her willingness to do things. I was never able to make her walk or trot or canter while lunging, but over time, through Parelli, i can now get her to walk, trot, canter. Our rides are also going a lot better, as instead of just going around the arena, i use variety and do different things. (i know it seems like common sense, but after having lessons for 12 years and going around the arena was all you did, a change was nice)

I also had a big problem with Vega with her not walking while being led. She'd prance, buck and rear, but after i go further along in Parelli, i could use those tools to make her walk and for her act like a well behaved horse. And those tools (backing her up, disengaging her hindquarters) worked extremely well for Vega as she is sensitive and any smack or yank on the lead would just escalate it.

Anyways, that's just my experience with it.

Though i do have to say, that if we move the horses to another barn, i wouldn't mind taking lessons or having a trainer help me, as Vega is only 5 and I'm new to the whole training world.

Spirithorse 06-04-2008 12:38 PM

I must be one of those oppinionated people you were refering to :lol:

Not all people who "follow" Parelli are good examples of what the program is really about. I know some people around here who I can't stand. I would never let them lay a hand on my horse for that matter. One of them offered me to play with their "level 3 horse" and I couldn't believe how spooky and unconfident this horse was. But these people are extremenists and they take things way out of context. But that's not the program's fault.

On the other end of the scale, you have people who are naturally more soft and nice and lovey so they have a hard time being firm with a horse. Contrary to what some people believe, yes, we are firm with horses in Parelli when needed. :lol: I have a friend who is this way and I have been helping her with her horse, and really they are not a good match for her to be learning on. Her horse is very dominant and can be snotty where she has a harder time being firm with him. But she is a dedicated student of the program and these past 2 weeks have been amazing for her. Her horse is listening to her now, he doesn't argue nearly as much and she is even trail riding him now. But because she is dedicated and was willing to search for the answers she has made huge break throughs.

Parelli is just as much a human training program as it is a horse training program. Who do we have to become in order for our horses to trust us completely, to want to be with us and be the most amazing partners we could dream of? And really, the first 3 Levels of the program are really about the human, not the horse. Sure, you are teaching your horse along the way, but it's more about finding "that" inside of you in order for it to work. I think that's why some people don't like Parelli......they don't want to look inside themselves and admit that they are the ones causing the problems. They don't want to change or they aren't open minded.

For me, I have had to learn how to be more patient, understanding, and soft. I was really good at being firm with horses, I'd smack or jerk on them if they were bad, all that stuff. Parelli has helped me find that balance of love, language, and leadership, as they say. I have amazing success with horses now, be it my own or friend's horses.

My new horse who I've had for 3 months now was going to be put down if he hadn't found a home. He was said to be a biter, a kicker, a man hater and a dangerous and aggressive horse. He was a 16.2 hh bully. So I decided I wanted him :lol: Turns out he was just scared most of the time, he was extremely defensive and would brace up against steady pressure and try to bite. Sometimes aggressiveness can come across as "bad" behavior but if you look at the whole horse it CAN be fear. His motto was "I'll get you before you get me." He's been through some really bad stuff in his life and he didn't think people were a very good thing.

3 months later he is a completely changed horse. Actually, the TRUE horse finally has revealed himself to me and he is a blast to play with. He's finally confident to ask me questions and to have a conversation with me instead of going introverted and catatonic while learning something new. Through Parelli it's shown me that he is unconfident as a learner. This will get better as time goes by.

Basically why I wrote all that is because if you dedicate yourself to learning and understanding this program just like you would dedicate yourself to your chosen discipline then you will have amazing success. I would not have had this kind of success with my new horse if I hadn't been using Parelli. It's way more than wiggling a rope......it's a way to be with a horse, to understand them and to think like they do. One of Pat's mentors (I believe it was Troy Henry but I'm not positive) once said to him, "If I could put an ounce of human into the horse and a gallon of horse into a human, then we would truly have an amazing thing." See, it's really not about changing the horse, it's about changing us.

Gluey33 06-05-2008 06:04 AM

Im with you farmpony Im glad spirithorse and appylover have got so much out of parelli. It says a lot about their natural understanding of horses(this is a compliment not a dig at Parelli) that they've made it work so well for them. I use some of Parellis technique, Some Monty Roberts and a lot of an old guy called Bernard. I think we should all be open to new ideas and different points of view. Take what we need and enjoy our horses :D

kitten_Val 06-05-2008 06:38 AM

I had lots of bossy issues with my horse. I tried Clinton Anderson and it gave results (I guess I'm just too gentle with her type of horse). On the other hand Clinton Anderson worked somewhat in middle on my sensitive paint. The exercises CA suggests are really good and make lots of sense, but the approach he uses to make horses do them worked completely opposite on my paint (she got very defensive), so I still do them but ask in very gentle way even when she doesn't listen to me.

As for trainers... Well... I used 2 trainers for ground work and trailer training with my paint lately (one recommended by rescue, John Lyons certified, one recommended by local people, I believe he's either JL as well or Parelli). She run completely nuts: didn't want to have ANYTHING with either of them and started to rear badly in defense. The end result: lots of wasted money (those "certified" trainers are NOT cheap), mad horse, and no valuable advices for me to deal with issues. I know I sound negative, but when I contacted the trainers I did explain she's tough horse with lots of issues and I specifically explained the problems and ask whether they can help me on that, but they still assured me they can deal with her (actually they were kinda laughing on me). After they came out and couldn't do much they didn't laugh anymore, but didn't help either. :?

Vidaloco 06-05-2008 07:00 AM

I think the big DVD trainers are all basicly teaching the same thing. Using different words and slightly different techniques. I'm just grateful they are out there. Before the age of RFDtv, horsetv or the internet, someone who didn't know a lot about training was pretty much alone in the wind. Some of the young people who are getting horses for the first time have such an advantage over those of us who started out with just a horse a saddle and a rope and nowhere to turn for help.