The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   My first "stud" experience (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/my-first-stud-experience-9718/)

Sara 06-04-2008 12:52 PM

My first "stud" experience

I mentioned in the picture forum that my colt is going through this stage of not wanting to be caught...well, the reason is that he can see the mares (several of which are in heat now, of course) from his paddock. Smart little bugger that he is, he knows that being caught by the humans means leaving his lady friends. So he's having none of it!

I've never worked with a stud this young, and this is the first time I've experienced this kind of behavior. I think in John Lyons' first book, he talks about the difference between the sexes; that the real difference when it comes to stallions is that mares ALWAYS take first priority. Its interesting how such a simple thing drastically changes how you approach training problems.

In this case, I had to fall back on a strategy I've NEVER had to use to catch a mare or a gelding; free lunging in the paddock, making him move his feet until he made the decision to come to me. Waiting him out didn't work. Food didn't work. Every trick I know about body language and approaching horses in the pasture...no dice :P And all this from a horse that usually trots right up to you when you come through the gate! So I found the whole experience rather eye-opening...its one thing to know something intellectually, and quite another to deal with it first hand.

PoptartShop 06-04-2008 01:04 PM

That is really interesting! :D
It's like how it would be in the wild...haha the mares always come first! :lol:

appylover31803 06-04-2008 01:18 PM

Hormones :roll:

Vega used to get extremely flirtly and not care about me when she was in heat. It never helped much that she is stalled next to a handsome gelding.

I hope he gets over his little phase quickly

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-04-2008 01:49 PM

Gosh... I bet this experience would give you/us a new found respect for our junior high teachers.....lol....Trying to teach all of those hormonally challanged youngsters! :lol:

Sara 06-04-2008 03:15 PM

Oh man...I could never be a teacher. I have a lot of respect for that kind of patience with kids...I can do it with animals, but not children! We did end the day on a good note: when I let him back out in the paddock he stood with me for rubbing and didn't try to leave until I left.

Brandon 06-04-2008 11:49 PM

Lol well keep workin with him.. make sure he knows your still top mare and what you say goes.. Keep us updated on how things go because i am interested in knowin if he gets better.

Sara 06-05-2008 07:03 PM

Hehe, the mares must be out of heat now...it was like a light switch, he was as good as gold today. :P