The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   How To Get My Mare To Use Her Hindquarters More? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/how-get-my-mare-use-her-97219/)

RodeoBarrelRacer 09-06-2011 10:43 AM

How To Get My Mare To Use Her Hindquarters More?

Hello! My barrel mare, Gracie, is a very nice barrel horse other than one thing. She tends to try and bring her power from her front feet. How do I get her to use her hindquarters more and to swing her butt around like needed. Thanks!!

MangoRoX87 09-07-2011 10:15 PM

She's probably not using it because she is weak in the hind end. Build up muscle more, doing lots of backing and loping small and large circles:)

beau159 09-09-2011 11:29 PM

Yes, backing up, rollbacks, and riding in hills helps to build the muscles in their hind end. However, she can have the biggest hindquarters in the world, but if she does not engage them they are useless.

Can you post a video or at least photos of running the barrels? It is hard to tell you why she may be turning on her front end without seeing her run. It could be the way you are cueing her or the way you are riding.

SorrelHorse 09-10-2011 03:42 PM

Try doing rollbacks up and down the fence. When you turn into the fence, they don't really have a choice but to get on their hind end otherwise they smack their nose on the rail.

Also, as stated in the above post, cueing has a lot to do with it. You could be causing her to drop her shouler without realizing it.

BarrelRacer95 01-13-2012 09:37 AM

Whenever i get to the barrel i bump my reigns not jerk just bump and lean back then drop whatever reign to make him turn that direction. He always drops his butt and uses his hindquarters when i do that.cAnd when i get to the barrel i use the leg closer to the barrel and just put alittle pressure and he swings it like needed. Hope this made sense and helped.!

sierrams1123 01-14-2012 01:28 AM

You don't really want your horse to "swing" around the barrel with his hind end, you want it to be more of a one fluid motion.

As far as using his back end more, I am not a huge fan of doing roll backs but they work for some.

Try taking it back to ground zero.
Go slower through the pattern and make him stop and put his butt into the barrel where you would want him to "sit" when you are going into your turn.
Do you understand what I am saying?

Do this at a walk, trot, then a canter. If you teach your horse this then he should do this when you ask for more speed. This is engaging his back end and asking him to sit on his hind end and push off from his hind end.

I really hope I explained this correctly, it is so much easier to show then to tell.

But like someone stated above, pics and videos would be great! :)

If you would like I can record a quick video in the next few days to try and explain what I mean better.