The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   black rectangle on geldings gum (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/black-rectangle-geldings-gum-97234/)

LetAGrlShowU 09-06-2011 02:01 PM

black rectangle on geldings gum

Ok, so I wanted to post this tomorrow in anticipation of getting the photo we took of Aidan's gums/teeth. But my friends mother just had a house fire, so I will get photos when there is some down time for them.

Maybe someone here has seen this but Aidan has a solid black rectangular line across his gums. Its a perfect rectangle, and it is just there on his gums. I never noticed it til we took a pic of his teeth and got such a good shot of it. He just had his teeth done and the vet didnt say anything about it.

could it be a brand/tattoo? He is 3/4 Connemara and 1/4 Qtr horse. Very weird marking.. It almost looks like a scan mark for a checkout register, lol.

Speed Racer 09-06-2011 02:20 PM

It does sound like an identifying tattoo of some sort.

My TB has a tattoo across his inside upper lip, because he's a racetrack reject and all racehorses are tattooed.

LetAGrlShowU 09-06-2011 02:25 PM

I looked up tattoos and couldnt find anything similar. I will post the pic as soon as I can, just wasnt sure if anyone knew what this was... strange..

natisha 09-06-2011 03:52 PM

I'll bet it is just his natural coloring. People can have different colored gums too.

LetAGrlShowU 09-06-2011 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natisha (Post 1164280)
I'll bet it is just his natural coloring. People can have different colored gums too.

If it was blended or squigly, i;d agree. It is a PERFECT rectangle, like a bar code. lol

Trinity3205 09-06-2011 07:14 PM

haha try to download the smart phone bar code reader app and see what comes up! LOL

cant wait to see a picture of this

LetAGrlShowU 09-07-2011 10:12 AM

:::drum beat::: here is the mark

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s.../Aidansgum.jpg

I will have to go and try to "scrub it". It loos like grass but when i felt it before it felt like it was just part of his gums. how stupid am i gunna feel? hahaha

Edited to add: I really really am embarrassed if all it is, is grass, lmao.

natisha 09-07-2011 01:05 PM

It does look like a blade/fiber of some sort. It is weird that it would be so stuck on though. A mystery.

Endiku 09-07-2011 01:17 PM

after using a program to look closely at it, I can just about 99.9% assure you that it is a blade of grass. The way it is creased in the middle just slightly, and has the 'ripped' look. Why it is stuck like that, I don't know. I would try putting some baby's teething gel around it, have someone else hold his mouth- and gently try to edge your fingernail over it. Be warned though, that if it's been there a while, his gums could be very sensative underneath.

Carleen 09-07-2011 01:17 PM

Definitely looks like grass to me too!