The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Possible teeth problems? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/possible-teeth-problems-97267/)

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-06-2011 08:13 PM

Possible teeth problems?

Today, I was riding my mare around and she was being her stubborn self because she'd rather eat grass...nothing a lead rope to the flank doesn't fix lol. Well she was trotting and I asked her to tuck in her nose which she was doing fine. But after a while she would put her head way down and tuck her nose waaay in, like with her head almost between her legs. Well I stopped her and asked her to bring her nose to her shoulder, then I went to turn her around and she tried to bite my foot. She did this for quite awhile. And she would keep opening her mouth and putting her head down and also when I asked her to turn left, sometime she would other times she'd side step to the right with her head tilted to the left, same for the right. I'm not sure what the problem was.

I was think maybe her mouth is sore. Because yesterday I had a guy out (my boyfriends step grandpa) who thinks the way to train a horse is the rough fear not respect type of thing...not what I want and he just hauled on her mouth quite a bit. Could that make it sore? (My boyfriend got on his butt called him a bad word..yata yata that's for a different story lol) anyway, I also rubbed my finger in her moth and felt around, and on the left side, on the top of her mouth she had what feels like a point covered by some gum..maybe a tooth? But I'm not positive..any suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-06-2011 08:25 PM

I would have your vet come out and check her mouth out and they could give you a better idea. But yes it could definitely be that her teeth are bothering her.

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-06-2011 08:29 PM

Alright, problem is we aren't big on money ha..but I will try.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-06-2011 08:32 PM

Well sometimes you can just call you vet explain what you have found in her mouth and they can give you a few options as to what it may be and what to do to try and help it. This isn't always the case but sometimes they can.

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-06-2011 08:33 PM

Ok,well I will try to do that tomorrow :)
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-06-2011 08:37 PM

alrighty goodluck :]

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-06-2011 08:47 PM

Thanks :) do you think it'd be ok to ride her with a halter and leadrope tomorrow until I figure out what's wrong with her mouth?
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-06-2011 08:49 PM

ya definitely a halter and lead rope won't put the pressure on the bars of her mouth so it won't bother the spot in question :]

LovesMyDunnBoy 09-06-2011 08:50 PM

Good :) alrighty just wanted to be sure! I don't want her getting out of the habit of actually listening to me ha!
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-06-2011 08:52 PM

Nope riding with just the halter could even help you with getting her listening more to your seat and legs then the bit. Its a great chance to finesse those ques haha :]