The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Lost interest (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/lost-interest-97289/)

rum4 09-07-2011 01:29 AM

Lost interest

Well its been several months since I rode my horse and currently I have no interest in riding. Not sure if I should sell all 4 of them or what. Family has no real interest, except one son and his interest is so so........ oh well

waresbear 09-07-2011 01:43 AM

What interests you now instead of riding?

rum4 09-07-2011 03:56 AM

nothing really. Just not sure what to do with the horses and all the horse related items to include living quarters horse trailer..... but not really interested in riding now

netty83 09-07-2011 06:55 AM

I would keep them in the short term as your interest may return and it just may be that you need a couple months away from them to renew your passion. An alternative is to put them on loan/lease to someone else for 6 months and see how you manage without them, that way, you have the option to take them back if you do realise that you are still interested in riding.

iridehorses 09-07-2011 07:12 AM

I went through that ~7 years ago. I have been riding all my life and have owned for over 30 years. When I moved to SC other things took my time and my horses were cared for but not ridden. I ended up selling everything except my tack - including my Ford dully and 3 horse w/lq.

It took a couple of years but the passion returned. My family was never into horses so it wasn't something that we shared. My point is that I took the horse's well being into consideration and they were better off being used and enjoyed (IMO) then being pasture puffs that I still had to take care of but not use.

Although the market is bad right now, if you are going to sell them, it is the right season rather then wait until the middle of the winter. As for leasing, that is also an excellent alternative but be sure you have a solid contract and check on them frequently.

mbender 09-07-2011 07:19 AM

I agree with netty and iride. Everyone pretty much goes through this at some point. I have. I never sold my animals though. Reasons being that I still enjoyed seeing them and being with them and when you know you have a good horse its hard to start over with a new one. You never know if this feeling will pass or not. If anything lease or sell what really isn't being used and keep a couple of special ones.

Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gillian 09-07-2011 11:22 AM

I'm going through this right now as well. I am very busy, work a lot, and just do not have any desire to go out and ride. This has happened before. Luckily I do not have a horse right now, but I do have two horses that are available for me to ride whenever I want.

But I just don't want to, ha ha. They are both horses who need work and miles, one of them will rear when pushed, both are mares. I do not feel like dealing with a project right now, and mares and I never get along. I am too stubborn, and they are too stubborn. We butt heads more than not. And honestly, I do not really feel like dealing with a rearer.

My feelings may be different if I had a solid horse to ride, but still. I don't think I'll be actively riding again until I have a career and can afford to buy my own horse.

wetrain17 09-07-2011 12:34 PM

I think most of us go through something like this. I was horse obsessed as a kid, then one day I woke up and that was it. I didnt want to ride anymore. I had no motivation to ride. I took a few years off through the rest of high school and then college. During that time I had opportunities to ride other people's horses, but never wanted to. I also felt empty during all those years as well. It wasn't until I was hired for a summer position at an eventing barn that I realized what was missing. Years later I'm still riding.

But now i have a different problem, work. I have a "real job" and I have NO time to ride, and when I do have a window of opportunity to ride, its either raining (thanks to the hurricane and remnants of another hurricane, no indoor) or I don't because now I have a house and that takes up my time. I go to visit my horse at lunch and I want to stay there and ride, but I have to go back to work. I haven't ridden in 2 weeks but I do miss it. So i'm sinking hundreds of dollars each month into a horse I dont ride, I have considered selling.

Calmwaters 09-08-2011 02:25 PM

I would think long and hard before you sell them. I would hate for you to sell them and regret it later sometimes we don't know what we have until its gone. I kind of like the lease idea that way you will be more sure thats what you want to do.

Saskia 09-08-2011 06:45 PM

I went through a few years like this - and I am still a little so-so, but if you aren't interested the costs and time to maintain four horses is quite substantial.

If you have the "forever kind" sort of horse I'd be hesitant to sell it but I would definitely cut down. I don't really believe in the "perfect horse", if you sell your horses now and get back into it later you can always find something else. To me, interest in horses comes back after you get totally out of it and have time without anything to do with horses. Keeping them there will probably always be a weight on your mind.

Think it through of course, but if you are considering it, and you don't really care and haven't for several months.. well maybe its time to cut down.