The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Mega help needed with training yearling (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/mega-help-needed-training-yearling-97317/)

Pilot 09-07-2011 11:42 AM

Mega help needed with training yearling

Last evening after school I tried to work with my 1 1/2 yr. old quarter yearling, Nova. She has behavior issues such as biting and kicking. She especially hates being petted on her face so I avoid this trying to give her the space she needs and pet from the neck down but will randomly still spin and face her rear at me or nip at me.

She is going to need to have her feet trimmed soon so I was trying to work with her on leading. (She has VERY little training). She would push me over when I tried putting the halter on walking whatever direction. I got the halter on and proceeded to the pasture to work with her.
She is fond of my other horse, my paint mare Pilot. They both become upset when separated. I tied my mare while taking the yearling outside. Nova continued to try returning to the barn but I had a firm grip on the lead. Pilot was becoming very upset and was banging around in the barn and I was afraid she was going to injure herself(she has a history of being a cluts). I release Pilot hoping she would graze while I worked with Nova. That way they could see each other.

But, instead Pilot kept standing by Nova and I couldn't move Nova around without fear of sparking a upset between the two horses. One time when they had each face very close to each other I let back away while holding the lead. Pilot went away but I could not get close to Nova again. She started chargeing at me and spinning her rear at me. I had to let go to I threw the lead over her neck hoping that she wouldn't trip on it. Finally I was able to get on a side of a fence and Nova came up so I was able to get the halter off safely.

How do you get barn buddies to separate peacefully?

Please where do I go and what do I do to help train this filly?

lilruffian 09-07-2011 12:36 PM

First off you filly has absolutely NO respect for you and sees you as the very bottom of the herd, not the leader that you should be. If she doesn't like her face touched, TOUCH her face. Don't just leave it alone because it won't get better.
What it sounds like is you need to do alot of ground work, respect wise. Teach her to yield away from pressure. A horse that yields its front end easily won't bit, same way a horse that yields its hindquarters easily won't kick.
This is done by getting a long rope (no less than 10 feet) and a whip (around 4 feet or so with a long lash) and adding steady, rhythmic pressure on the part of the body that you want moved.
For example: if you want her to move her back end, lean down, LOOK at her hindquarters and tap the butt-end of the whip on her flank, increasing pressure until she moves off (even 1 step counts!) Then release ALL pressure, stand back. Wait a second and do it again.
Do the same with her front end until you've got her moving away at the slightest signal.

Get her backing up too. Use the same principals as before, adding pressure with the whip to her chest until she backs off. Don't follow her, but rather let her back out of the pressure herself. This teachers her to respect you space.
Then invite her back in by pulling steadily on the rope until she moves forward. A good way to get horses to follow when they're uncertain is to back up while she's coming forward and slowing your own step until she's bridged the gap herself. This takes the pressure off her & builds confidence.

To get her used to touching her face & her legs & feet, get a short whip and tie a bag onto the end. Using a long rope, loop it around a fence post so that she can back up a bit if she needs to, but you still have control, and shake the bag all over her "touchy spots". She might throw a fuss but whatever you do DO NOT stop shaking the bag until she calms down. When she does calm down, then release all pressure again. The release of pressure is the reward.
Horses learn from repetition and rhythm so if you keep the pressure steady, she will learn quicker that it's not hurting her than if you give it to her in small spurts.

I would check into other trainers, even if you want to watch videos on YouTube or buy books. Natural Horsemanship has many good principals and i would suggest Pat Parelli's Natural-Horse-Man-Ship book as it has many good tips.
You don't have to follow him to a T if you don't want to, but there are several aothers who do the same thing and it all works. Just study a few techniques and take what you feel will help you in your situation.

Another thing to get her doing is circling. It's like longeing, only you give the horse something to think about, not just chase her around with the whip. Get her to back away from you first and then send her off in either direction with a little pressure behind by the whip (increase pressure if she doesn't move off and stop when she does). Let her walk/trot 3-4 circles around you and then get her to yield her hindquarters and face you. Then do the other direction.
By allowing her to walk on her own without you chasing after her with the whip will force her to think about what she's doing, not just react to a stimulus. She will also want to pay more attention to you because you will be the one giving her direction.

Ok- almost done lol. The biggest thing is to spend time with her! Just hang out, pet her, give her treats, get her liking you presence. Bring ropes out, throw them around, across her back, around her legs until she trusts your actions and is comfortable with then.
A good way of getting a horse used to swinging ropes is to lead her forward and as she's following, throw the rops ahead of you. That way she sees the scary thing moving away from her and it releaves some of the pressure until she will allow it to be thrown all over.
It's suprising how many "well-broke" horses can't handle this exercise.

Valentina 09-07-2011 01:17 PM

Two things when working with a horse like this -
1. wear gloves to prevent rope burns and
2. if she tries to yank rope (lead) away from you get a lead with a chain and put the chain over her nose.

Establish dominance with lead - put halter on, stand next to her left shoulder with lead in right hand, with whip and end of lead in left hand. Teach her to step forward when you step forward and stop when you do. If she doesn't walk forward use (long) whip to tap her but as you step forward. She will follow. If she doesn't halt when you do snap down with right hand on end of leadline. All this away from her buddy,.

When she leads properly add in turning when being lead - towards you AND away from you (as you step towards her head push on her neck/shoulder to get her to turn away from you).

After she does all this well then work her around her buddy BUT she must ALWAYS pay attention to you, not her buddy. Use whip/lead line to get and keep her attention.

Pilot 09-07-2011 03:49 PM

How do I do the training metioned above while not getting kicked? She bucks and viciously tries to attack. I cannot even get her to hold still to teach her to back away from pressure when asked.

Also how do I safely pen my mare up when I 'attempt' to work with my filly?

Can I use a stick instead of a whip(I don't own one and cannot afford anything either)?