The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I need help with my horses weight (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-need-help-my-horses-weight-97335/)

Cowgirl07 09-07-2011 04:00 PM

I need help with my horses weight

I need some help on how to get my horses weight up because some members complained of him being ribby I want to apoligize to all the members that saw it I didnt mean to disturb the members about my horse I showed a picuture of him in Horse Pictures Please help me out it will be appriciated bunches!!:D

verona1016 09-07-2011 04:05 PM

Baxter is a very cute horse, but you're right- he does need to gain some weight. To start out the conversation, can you tell us what he's being fed now?

balky cheeky charmer 09-07-2011 04:24 PM

hi he is very cute

Superhorse8 09-07-2011 04:51 PM

weight gain for horses

There are several things to check if your horse will not maintain his weight.
Perhaps you have done all this, but: Have you checked his teeth?
Has he been wormed regularly?
Is it possible he has an ulcer?
If he has good teeth, been wormed, and does not have an ulcer, you
probably should look at the hay he is eating. Perhaps it does not have
much feed value. Easiest way to be sure is have it tested. Call your local
agriculture office. They can give you a place to get the test done.
A couple pounds of corn and oats morning and evening will help. A lot
of folks will recommend a sweet feed but I am a firm believer in the natural grains. If it is a little dusty you might want the feed mill to add
JUST enough to keep the dust down. Another GREAT way to get the most
out of any feed and hay is to top dress it with a fat soluble rice bran. It
MUST be liquid fat soluble. The powders won't do you any good! Two that
I know of are Equi-BuildER and Equiade. Good luck and go slow when you make any changes in his diet!

Cowgirl07 09-07-2011 05:09 PM

I feed him hay and he eats alot of grass he ate a apple yestarday the moderater said he was 200 underweight he deleted the picture i had in another thread i didnt realize he was riby to the other members they didnt like it I'm going to buy some stuff for him and then I'll post another better picture of him

Cowgirl07 09-07-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superhorse8 (Post 1165480)
There are several things to check if your horse will not maintain his weight.
Perhaps you have done all this, but: Have you checked his teeth?
Has he been wormed regularly?
Is it possible he has an ulcer?
If he has good teeth, been wormed, and does not have an ulcer, you
probably should look at the hay he is eating. Perhaps it does not have
much feed value. Easiest way to be sure is have it tested. Call your local
agriculture office. They can give you a place to get the test done.
A couple pounds of corn and oats morning and evening will help. A lot
of folks will recommend a sweet feed but I am a firm believer in the natural grains. If it is a little dusty you might want the feed mill to add
JUST enough to keep the dust down. Another GREAT way to get the most
out of any feed and hay is to top dress it with a fat soluble rice bran. It
MUST be liquid fat soluble. The powders won't do you any good! Two that
I know of are Equi-BuildER and Equiade. Good luck and go slow when you make any changes in his diet!

Thank you so much for the help

DraftyAiresMum 09-07-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl07 (Post 1165503)
I feed him hay and he eats alot of grass he ate a apple yestarday the moderater said he was 200 underweight he deleted the picture i had in another thread i didnt realize he was riby to the other members they didnt like it I'm going to buy some stuff for him and then I'll post another better picture of him

What kind of hay does he get? Timothy, alfalfa, bermuda/grass? How much hay do you feed him? He looks like the OTTB my friend rescued a couple of years ago. The guy who had him was only feeding him two small flakes of grass hay per day.

Cowgirl07 09-07-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1165514)
What kind of hay does he get? Timothy, alfalfa, bermuda/grass? How much hay do you feed him? He looks like the OTTB my friend rescued a couple of years ago. The guy who had him was only feeding him two small flakes of grass hay per day.

We feed him supposed to be Timothy hay my fiance get the hay from different places he eats half a bale a day and what is OTTB.So your friend had my horse rescued a couple of years ago because another only fed him two small flakes of hay per day if thats is the case then no wonder Baxter is shy and stubborn he was mistreated Are you sure my horse was rescued by your friend a couple of years ago?

verona1016 09-07-2011 05:32 PM

It sounds like he's probably a little bit of a hard keeper and needs something to supplement his hay.

Somethings you might consider are-

Feeding a better quality, richer hay. I'm not sure what kind of hay you're feeding now, but feeding a few flakes of alfalfa each day with free access to a lower quality hay throughout the day is a a good start.

Beet pulp is great for adding extra calories. You can buy it in several different forms, but I've only used the pellets, which get soaked before feeding.

Pelleted food, like Nutrena Safe Choice or Triple Crown Complete. You should be able to get some good guidance on these from your local feed store.

Weight gain supplements- your horse may or may not actually need a weight gain supplement, depending on how he responds to any changes you make in his diet.

I wouldn't recommend giving sweet feed, though. There's very little nutritional value in it; it would be like giving lollipops to malnourished children.

verona1016 09-07-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowgirl07 (Post 1165532)
We feed him supposed to be Timothy hay my fiance get the hay from different places he eats half a bale a day and what is OTTB.So your friend had my horse rescued a couple of years ago because another only fed him two small flakes of hay per day if thats is the case then no wonder Baxter is shy and stubborn he was mistreated Are you sure my horse was rescued by your friend a couple of years ago?

OTTB is Off-the-Track ThoroughBred

I don't think DraftyAiresMum was saying it was the same horse, just that her friend rescued one that was just as skinny as your guy is now.