The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How often is normal to clean mare's genitals? I think something is wrong with my mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-often-normal-clean-mares-genitals-97336/)

manca 09-07-2011 04:45 PM

How often is normal to clean mare's genitals? I think something is wrong with my mare

How often do you do it?
I have to clean her every second day. Sometimes everyday. It's worse in the summer, when it's really hot.

There is smegma on her udders + her anus and vulva are always dirty, but not only with smegma, I don't really know how to describe it.

She's healthy otherwise...

It seems abnormal to me, but I never really paid attention to other mares, I only know that my friend's mare never looks that dirty as my mare the second day and they never clean her, except for splashing water at her when they shower her once or twice in the summer.

Do you think I should worry about it?

Corporal 09-07-2011 05:05 PM

Call your Vet. I think you'll get the best advice on this from him/her. =D

myhorsesonador 09-07-2011 05:08 PM

I used to have to clean my mare every day. Some mares are just dirtier than others. :)

usandpets 09-07-2011 05:43 PM

We have three mares. Two get cleaned every month and the third never gets dirty, at least with the udders. Their rears are about the same except the one with the dirtiest udders has the cleanest rear.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cowgirl07 09-07-2011 05:47 PM

I personally would love to have a gentle mare they are beautiful horses I'm pretty sure if she gets down on the ground and rolls side to side on the ground then thats where the dirt is coming from or she could have got it from the stall and that totally normal I know shes probably hard to clean its perfectly normal to clean her as often as you like except when she is in heat if the dirt doesnt come off call the vet the have the special instruments to treat horses Hope this helps

Rowdy Girl 09-07-2011 06:23 PM

One of my mare's get's pretty dirty / tar like stuff between her udder's a LOT, and I wash her about every 3 days...wet it, shampoo it, let it set for a few minute's and then it come's right off...If does often happen a lot between her rear leg's..but, living in AZ, with very high temps and the horse's rolling..and sweating, it's almost impossible to keep her clean...once it hit's 85 or lower in degree, not a problem..sweat built up crud.

IslandWave 09-07-2011 09:25 PM

I clean my mare's udder once a week and it's always ready to be cleaned at that time. If you are unsure, I'd ask your vet if this is normal.

Pidge 09-07-2011 10:56 PM

A mare I use to have to bath when I worked as a groom was downright nasty...didnt matter how often you washed. Could have done it twice a day and she would still be yucky.

My mare on the other hand never gets cleaned and she is...well...shes clean lol never gets dirty lady parts lol

All mares are different...its just like geldings with sheath cleaning. Some get funky some dont. If your really worried though call the vet to be safe. But if your confident in her health then your probably fine.

PaintHorseMares 09-07-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manca (Post 1165473)
Do you think I should worry about it?

If she's healthy, I wouldn't worry or do anything. We've always had mares and never cleaned any of them.

flytobecat 09-08-2011 12:15 AM

I rarely clean my girls. They don't get that dirty. I would ask your vet what he thinks.