The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   I kinda wanna try a gaming event (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/i-kinda-wanna-try-gaming-event-97345/)

Gidget 09-07-2011 06:03 PM

I kinda wanna try a gaming event

Okay,so here is the deal. I use to ride western but now I'm into dressage,english eq,jumping,etc. But part of me wants to do a gaming event with Gidget since I know she can go fast.I usually have to hold her back. I don't want to do barrels as I know she HATES them but speed barrels or poles...or that one thing when there are two poles and you circle them and then run back...anyways,I have one problem..the only thing close to a western saddle I have is my treeless endurance saddle. We can turn sharp with it. It has no horn but it does have the swell....

SorrelHorse 09-07-2011 08:20 PM

Look into buying/borrowing a western saddle.

Local gaming (We're in the same area, so SOBRA, TDSC, Sherrifs Posse) require the saddle horn.

Gidget 09-07-2011 08:44 PM

really?!
Why is that? For added secruity or what?

MangoRoX87 09-07-2011 11:20 PM

You actually are supposed to use the horn when turning, to push yourself down into the the saddle.
And yes, it's probably inforced as a safety thing and to keep it a "western" event/show.

Gidget 09-08-2011 12:58 AM

hmmmm,interesting.Learn something new everyday. My mom has a barrel saddle by billy cook.If I'm lucky I might be able to try it on Gidget to see if it fits. Most western saddles do not it seems.

SorrelHorse 09-08-2011 01:17 AM

I woul post a wanted ad on craigslist. In the medford-ashland section there's been an old Simco saddle for awhile, for cheap.

Also - Don't forget about the turn. You said she's fast, but you can have the fastest horse in the world but if you're blowing out twenty feet every turn someone can walk the pattern faster than you. How do I know that? I once thought I had a gaming horse until I got there, blew out EVERY barrel, and the peewees got better times....Embarrassing o.o

If you just want to play though, I would suggest TDSC (If you don't know its Trail Dust Saddle Club) SOBRA and Posse are more competitive, TDSC is really low-key and everyone is very friendly.

Gidget 09-08-2011 02:36 PM

Thanks!

I just recently bought my treeless so I'm not in a market for another saddle currently. I think that I will borrow my mom's saddle. I played with barrels in the past and Gidget gets right next to them and usually has always cleared them. I,personally think she would be a good gaming horse and I might try it for fun here and there. Now,do you have to have a curb bit?

SorrelHorse 09-09-2011 01:47 AM

No, you can use whatever bit you want for gaming. I personally don't like running barrels in a curb just because it IS meant to be ridden one-handed. I generally ride in a Sharon Camarillo Sweet Six bit, or just a plain snaffle. Whatever Gidget likes best.