The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Please help me loose weight... (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/please-help-me-loose-weight-97390/)

Calmwaters 09-08-2011 09:41 AM

Please help me loose weight...

Hi guys I know the best way to loose weight is to exercise but with my back injury I am allowed only to swim which now that schools back in the public pools are closed and walk on level ground. I have put on alot of weight since I turned 30 and its gotten worse since I hurt my back even though I watch what I eat. So I am asking what have you guys tried that has worked for you to get the punds off? Going to a gym with an indoor pool is not an option because the closest on is a 30 minute drive from home. Also anyone know of any simple core building exercises that I could try.

ETA: I am doing some core exercises the therapist gave me when I was going but I have gotten board with them and would like to do some new ones.

Joe4d 09-08-2011 05:35 PM

the best way to loose weight is NOT exercise, It is diet, not "a diet" but the everyday food you eat, It is way easier to take 500 calories a day out of your diet than it is to burn an extra 500 calories. Exersise can amke you healthier and it will burn some calories. But you still have to make smart food choices. Weight training and cardio will help yourt health and add some muscle which will burn more calories throughout the day, but you still have to watch food, Try this starting tommorrow and only worry about doing it one day,,, Only eat real food, dont eat or drink anythign that isnt real. Real being you can look at it and tell exactly what it is and where it came from. The biggest fat causing foods are what I call fake foods, the stuff that you cant tell what kinda plant or animal or chemical it came from.

Calmwaters 09-08-2011 05:44 PM

Thanks Joe. I have stopped drinking sodas and snack foods I have stopped gaining more pounds but just can't seem to get them to go away. Maybe with more time it will start to get better.

goneriding 09-08-2011 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 1166800)
Thanks Joe. I have stopped drinking sodas and snack foods I have stopped gaining more pounds but just can't seem to get them to go away. Maybe with more time it will start to get better.

Can you join Weight Watchers? They teach you how to eat normal food. Yes, you can treat yourself to a steak once in a while. Trust me, you don't starve. I use a chocolate meal replacement called Naturade total soy. In a blender I put two scoops of this meal replacement with a cup of vanilla soy milk, blend then I add a banana or two and blend more. then I add some ice and blend again. You end up with a filling delicious shake with tons of protein and vitamins. It is hard losing weight, take it slow......

Calmwaters 09-08-2011 06:43 PM

A friend of mine recommended a free website called sparkpeople.com that I signed up for today it looks like a good site it gives me menues and helps me keep track of calories eaten and burned. The menues are normal foods that are healthy so hopefully that will help.

Joe4d 09-08-2011 11:23 PM

Couple things,,, get on a food schedule and eat nothing outside that schedule, your body will adjust and you will be eating out of hunger instead of boredom. (my weakness) so 3 meals, and maybe two snacks, stick with real foods, and eat slow, snack on an apple but eat it with a knife cutting small pieces, Your brain will get the message. Also a great evening snack. Buy some bananas, peal em, and then freeze them, throw one in a blender with some fresh or frozen (no sugar) berries and some greek yougurt. Really good. really filling takes like a rich thick milkshake.

WickedNag 09-09-2011 07:40 AM

I am with you and was told by my dietician friend it is portion control. Eat smaller portions, no seconds, chew slowly and enjoy your food. Should only lose 1/2-1lb a week.
Good Luck!

Calmwaters 09-09-2011 08:15 AM

Thanks everyone for all your advise. Joe the sparkpeople plan is like what you say 3 normal meals and 2 small snacks. I like the ideas you guys had of the smoothie type drinks and will try them. There was also a drink on the Dr.Oz show that he said will boost metabolism which is a problem alot of women have after they hit 30 it was green tea, tangarines, and fresh mint that I would like to try but I have been to 4 different stores and can not find mint around here.

TralissaAndalusians 09-09-2011 03:59 PM

I've actually just started a ketosis diet, and I'm feeling great into day 5. It takes around 12 days to get into ketosis properly, but from then on, you have a week of no carbs, then you can give yourself a carb day at the end of the week.

It's hard, because I'm not allowed more than 20 carbs a day, and it's all meat and stuff, but my brothers have been on it for over 3 months, and my one brother who was bigger than me, has already lost 3 stone. So me and my mum wanted to try it, one, because I want to get back into riding more and get more motivated, and 2, to be more confident with myself.

Pretty much having no carbs, makes fat burn rapidly.

We've spoken to various people about this, and doctors and they see no harm in it. But you have to keep up with it. I've lost half a stone in 5 days (It won't work that quickly for all, and to be honest, I think part of it is because I've been too ill lately with an inner infection) But I've read people have lost more than that in their first 16 days of ketosis, but again, varies for everyone.

Or, there is obviously the option, eat 3 times a day and excercise (walking is absolutely fine)

spookychick13 09-09-2011 04:45 PM

I use this site, which is also free:
MyPlate - Food Diary & Food Calorie Counter | LIVESTRONG.COM

Yoga is a low impact exercise I really enjoy, as is Pilates.
If you have netflix you can stream exercise videos for free. :)