The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Help! Horse camp crafts... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/help-horse-camp-crafts-9740/)

melinda27858 06-04-2008 08:45 PM

Help! Horse camp crafts...

My parents never sprung for me to go to horse camp, so this year will be my first at 32 yrs old!!!

My barn manager/friend is doing her first horse camp this summer and has asked me to assist with horsey arts/crafts for girls ages 6-14. I have taught elementary and middle school art and could do it in my sleep, but for the life of me, I can not think of many horse-related crafts that would be fairly inexpensive, quick, and interesting.

I would love to hear suggestions of crafts that those of you who have attended/taught horse camp have done and enjoyed!!!

Thanks!

appylover31803 06-04-2008 09:09 PM

decorating horse shoes, and maybe let them take a picture of them with a horse that they ride during camp and you could put it in there.

For younger girls, maybe coloring in different horses.

Maybe (depending on how many girls attend the camp) you could get inexpensive halters and they could decorate them with glitter glue and beads and sequence.

melinda27858 06-04-2008 10:19 PM

Great ideas Appy! I have written them down!!!
Can anyone else add to these ideas???? I know some of you have attended horse camps! I am not the only one!

buckaroo2010 06-04-2008 10:24 PM

I remember one year at camp we finger painted the one horses named Big Bertha! LOL she was cute and then we played dress up with the horses it was actually really FUNNY!

Sara 06-04-2008 10:46 PM

Mmm...I was going to say teach them to tie rope halters, but that actually takes awhile to learn:P Still, maybe...
Maybe make rhythm beads, that's a lot less labor intensive :P

buckaroo2010 06-04-2008 10:50 PM

Yeah lol I dont think it would take that long to learn? maybe im wrong

Gingerrrrr 06-05-2008 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803
decorating horse shoes, and maybe let them take a picture of them with a horse that they ride during camp and you could put it in there.

For younger girls, maybe coloring in different horses.

Maybe (depending on how many girls attend the camp) you could get inexpensive halters and they could decorate them with glitter glue and beads and sequence.

i decorated horse shoes and took a picture either with the horse i rode during the time i was at camp or a horse that i really liked in the barn. it was so much fun!

twinkle_toes 06-06-2008 10:50 PM

when i went to pony camp we decorated horse shoes and painted the ponies names we were riding on them. also there are little wooden horses that they can paint to look like there favorite pony, umm take pictures of them with ponies and have them decorate picture frames for them

just some ideas ill probably think of more later

melinda27858 06-06-2008 11:12 PM

Yeah! I am getting some really great ideas from everybody! Keep 'em coming!!!

PoptartShop 06-06-2008 11:29 PM

:D How about decorating shirts? Like, all the kids bring in a white t-shirt. You can paint a horse using some little kid's paint...& some glitter. I did that at horse camp once- it was fun!