The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   I am so jealous of your trail rides (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/i-am-so-jealous-your-trail-97446/)

Fellpony 09-09-2011 03:35 AM

I am so jealous of your trail rides
 
I have been read your threads on here about 5 hour plus trail rides and seen some of the photos. I so want to marry a barn owning, trail riding American ;-)
I keep my ponies on a lovely farm in Lincolnshire,UK but have to do most of my hacking on roads with lorries and motorbikes :( I hate it. My OH is doing a trailer up for me when its finished I plan to trailer my horses to some good riding :)

horseloverd2 09-09-2011 05:52 AM

I totally feel ya. A trail ride to me is a ride down the road or if I'm extremely lucky... a 30 minute ride through pineapple fields.

That's what you get for living on a 720 square mile island though. :lol:

Fellpony 09-09-2011 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseloverd2 (Post 1167202)
I totally feel ya. A trail ride to me is a ride down the road or if I'm extremely lucky... a 30 minute ride through pineapple fields.

That's what you get for living on a 720 square mile island though. :lol:

I do get the use of the stubble fields after the harvest :lol:

goneriding 09-09-2011 08:47 AM

I very much appreciate the riding we have here in the states and every state has something beautiful to offer. But as I speak, we are continuously losing trails and access to public land that we pay taxes on. There are certain groups fighting to open previous trails back up and to continue keeping current trails open. It is a slow process but we are making headway. I don't take our land for granted. :-)

iridehorses 09-09-2011 09:10 AM

I've always been lucky about riding trails, in NY, in PA, and now in SC. We have so many to choose from that, jokingly we pick the name of a trail out of a hat each Thursday nite over pizza to see where we'll ride on the coming weekend.

This Saturday it will be the trails at Clemson (called Fant's Grove). http://www.clemson.edu/cafls/departm...s/trails09.pdf

There are literally hundreds of acres of trails just in this one place. A rider can go out for an hour or two, or several hours, and do it each week - and never ride the same trail.

That is just one of many, many places to ride within an hour's trailer ride from my farm.

I've been so fortunate that I forget how difficult it is for many others to find just one place to trail ride.

its lbs not miles 09-09-2011 10:46 AM

I'd make sure you really like it here before thinking you'd love it here. My ex couldn't make the adjustment. There is a culture shock. As G.B. Shaw said: "England and America are two countries separated by a common language" :))

I seldom do a trail ride. Revert back to my youth and just ride to someplace. States usually put out a series of county maps with every road, dirt or otherwise, that's maintained by the state or county. And then there's the firelines, logging roads, farm lanes. Many times a local can tell me a shorter way vs riding along the road. For a day ride anyplace within 20 miles is a good destination and there's often more than one route to get me there, so I can use a different route back.

Just can't ride along the interstates (boy could that save some time :)) ). I just wish good places to camp overnight were easier to find at resonable distances. But it's still doable. Obviously, since people still cross the US on horseback (the ultimate "trail ride" :)) )

Calmwaters 09-09-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses (Post 1167300)
I've always been lucky about riding trails, in NY, in PA, and now in SC. We have so many to choose from that, jokingly we pick the name of a trail out of a hat each Thursday nite over pizza to see where we'll ride on the coming weekend.

This Saturday it will be the trails at Clemson (called Fant's Grove). http://www.clemson.edu/cafls/departm...s/trails09.pdf

There are literally hundreds of acres of trails just in this one place. A rider can go out for an hour or two, or several hours, and do it each week - and never ride the same trail.

That is just one of many, many places to ride within an hour's trailer ride from my farm.

I've been so fortunate that I forget how difficult it is for many others to find just one place to trail ride.

Iridehorse- Can I come ride with you when I buy a trailer? LOL Maybe even come for pizza to. LOL

iridehorses 09-09-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 1167414)
Iridehorse- Can I come ride with you when I buy a trailer? LOL Maybe even come for pizza to. LOL

Absolutely. A group us get together every Thursday nite - not everyone is a horse person.

Calmwaters 09-09-2011 12:17 PM

Sounds like fun! I use to go to Greenville every now and then to visit a friend I made on a tropical fish forum but then she moved away. : (

MHFoundation Quarters 09-09-2011 12:20 PM

Don't feel bad Fellpony, I live in the states and I'm jealous of the scenery & rides a lot of my fellow americans get to enjoy.

I'm smack dab in the middle with lovely flat ground, corn, soybean & hay fields surrounding. Though nicely manicured fields after harvest are great for a good gallop!

We do have several state parks that have trail systems for riders but they don't offer views like those seen in other areas of the country. The upside, there isn't any strenous terrain and that allows me to still be able to take even my old man (he's 29) for a trail ride!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0