The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How does your horses spook? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-does-your-horses-spook-9746/)

SonnyWimps 06-04-2008 10:56 PM

How does your horses spook?

Just curous...what does your horse do when he/she spooks at something?

Sonny will do one of two things...he'll either slam on the breaks or turn and bolt. Mostly he bolts...I hate it cause he turns in a weird way that throws me practicually out of my saddle so I'm hanging on to his neck or to some part of his body to stay on.

buckaroo2010 06-04-2008 10:59 PM

Buck Bolts sideways when he gets spooked at something and takes off running but like like if a deer runs out in front of us or he is unsettled with something

PaintHorseMares 06-04-2008 11:00 PM

Our mares are really good. The worst they ever do, like if something runs right out of the woods and surprises them, is take one sideways step.

BluMagic 06-04-2008 11:26 PM

Blu will normally scramble his feet and try to move but he's too scared......or he will turn and get away

PoptartShop 06-04-2008 11:56 PM

She'll bolt sometimes...or she'll just stop & try to back up.

orchid park 06-05-2008 03:39 AM

On of ours jumps about 20 ft sideways and snorts - this is our only gelding and is the biggest wimp of all our horses.
The 3 mares are all very confident and only really have a small jump and look and then they get on with it, but its rare that the mares spook.

Bitless 06-05-2008 04:18 AM

ermmm ...well lets see..... take your pick
jump sideways ( and by jump i mean JUMP ) then try and bolt, or spin around in 1 second flat to face the other direction and try and bolt....maby back up and try and spin around....with the possibility of a little rear....or his favourite drop his shoulder in push out sideways with his head nice and low and try and bolt...maby a added buck for effect :? :roll:

mind you that was when i first got Banjo, after 6 odd years of darn hard work and falling off all he does now is a little jump/ flinch :D Yay Boo 8)

Kyani 06-05-2008 08:50 AM

Oddie just does a little jump/shudder thing, barely noticeable, and then stops. If something is REALLY scary (like the logging horses in the woods), he'll stop dead and stare at it intently for ages before I can get him to go forward. Silly pie.

I'd much rather his way of spooking than anything else. We had one pony who would slam on the breaks and go into a fast reverse if she say anything really scary, and another mare decides hopping about doing mini-rears will scare off the tractors.

Small_Town_Girl 06-05-2008 10:47 AM

I was riding Ace one day and while on a bridge over a creek and
some ducks I hadn't noticed flew out and Ace stamped his feet,
that's all! :lol:

Vidaloco 06-05-2008 10:57 AM

Theres degrees of spook. Vida will do a little stop snort for a little one. Then theres the startled kinda jump in place. Then theres the holy crap its going to eat me full tilt bozo skitter sideways forward at the same time spook. Shes only done that a few times thank goodness. Usually when something jumps out of the tall grass right in front of her.