The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Hatching refrigerated eggs (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/hatching-refrigerated-eggs-97540/)

Indyhorse 09-10-2011 03:00 PM

Hatching refrigerated eggs

So did not know this was possible!

A had one of my RIR hens go broody a few weeks back, (pointless, because my new roos are both too young to be effective yet) and the breeder I got my last round of chickens from brought over some fertilized faverolle eggs to let the hen sit. I thought she was nuts bringing me eggs right out of the fridge. But she insisted it was fine, and I went ahead and put them under the hen.

I'll be ****ed if they aren't hatching today. I would have never in a million years guessed you could hatch refrigerated eggs. Learn something new every day!

mbender 09-10-2011 03:10 PM

Their Alive!! That is weird.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 09-14-2011 10:12 PM

I want pics of these cool chicks please.

kayleeloveslaneandlana 09-14-2011 10:29 PM

Wow that's really weird! Please put pics up!

Wheatermay 09-15-2011 04:40 AM

Never heard of it before either! WOW! So weird and cool! I'd name them all after cold and ice and winter, lol!

Alwaysbehind 09-15-2011 08:05 AM

Very interesting.

I wonder if there is a maximum amount of time the eggs can be refrigerated and still be viable?

I think we need photos of the cute little chicks.

ilovemyPhillip 09-16-2011 12:58 PM

How bizarre. My roos were 4 mo & in with my hens, unfortunately we had no chickies.

Indyhorse 09-16-2011 06:43 PM

Well, in the end I only have 1 surviving chick from the 5 eggs I originally put under her. I knew two were duds from candling them. Two hatched, the third must have stopped development at some point.

But one chick fell from the nest and was squashed, before I got the hen moved down to ground floor. :cry: However the remaining chick is doing well, and surrogate mom is being a darn good broody, keeping with her, taking her out into the yard, teaching her to scratch, etc. I'll get pictures tomorrow~!

Phillip, at 4 mos most roos aren't mature enough yet to fertilize eggs. My two current roos are 5 months and 4 months, neither are covering the hens yet. I don't really expect to see them do much until around 6-8 months, which is a normal maturation age.

AlexS 09-16-2011 06:48 PM

Shame that they didn't all make it, but I am looking forward to cute pics!

Druydess 09-17-2011 12:14 AM

Cold can sometimes create a state of suspended animation with life possible under the right conditions.. I have brought back "dead" humans after being "submerged in cold before, (in ER) so I guess it's possible.. Hope to see the new "survivor" soon.. ;)