The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Slowing Down. (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/slowing-down-97630/)

Mocha26 09-11-2011 01:44 PM

Slowing Down.

Okay this sounds awful but my lease horse, Sassy, will not slow down. :oops:

When I started working with her for barrels (bringing her out of retirement, she was a contester for 10+ years) She was great with the slowing down factor. She would slow down whenever I asked.
However, I, now, have to share her with some boy that runs her ramped. He's pretty much ruined all the work I've put into her.
Yesterday my barrel time was awful (27! I started out the year getting 18's) because I made her take wide turns and was fighting her to listen to me. I'm sooo mad. This is my only chance to get into contesting because my dad doesnt approve.. I don't want to just stop leasing her because of this boy.. and I've tried talking to him, and so has the owner (which is his foster...uhhh.. aunt.) So what do I do??? :?

Mocha26 09-11-2011 05:29 PM

Bump ):
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-11-2011 05:34 PM

i would say whenever you ride her do everything slow do not work on the faster stuff unless its very rare. Also ride as much as you can and constantly work on your cues and keeping her focused on you and not just running. When you work on the pattern again all slow! work on keeping her rate there and keeping her from blowing by the barrel do not worry about speed.

Mocha26 09-11-2011 06:54 PM

Thank you for the reply! I will do that. At future shows should I trot the pattern too? Until she gets re-adjusted?
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-11-2011 09:05 PM

No I think you will be fine to canter at the shows, she knows her job its just that she hasn't had you keeping her basics up so therefore she has been getting overly excited at being always ran and never actually worked on her basics. The arabian gelding I am riding I always work on slwo way more then fast with him as he needs more of the basics reminded to him regularly but at shows we go for it.

Mocha26 09-11-2011 09:39 PM

Okay, thanks so much! :D
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-11-2011 10:09 PM

your welcome :]

MangoRoX87 09-13-2011 06:37 PM

I'd say, take her off the pattern completely. Just do normal arena work, getting her to flex, give her shoulder, ect. Lot's of backing and roll backs.
Charmayne James doesn't even practice the pattern at home hardly.

Mocha26 09-15-2011 07:37 PM

She seems to be doing better so far this week.. but I have a show this weekend. If she's bad under pressure, then i will try that! :D