The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   M.T.G shampoo (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/m-t-g-shampoo-97684/)

BarrelWannabe 09-11-2011 09:29 PM

M.T.G shampoo

Does it really work? Is it as good as everyone seems to say it is? My gray gelding kinda has a ratty tail and i'm looking to grow out his tail some more. I know some horses are genetically inclined to have thinner or thicker manes/tails. And does the tail retain its growth if I took him off of M.T.G?

rocky pony 09-15-2011 04:30 AM

Do you mean just MTG? The one most people use is a leave-in oil, not a shampoo- and I'm unaware of the existence of a shampoo, though if there is, oops!

MTG noticably speeds up growth while it is being regularly used. I'm really sporadic in my use of it, sometimes I use it every other day and sometimes I use it once a month.

There have been times I noticed growth overnight from it. Try it on a spot where your horse has a nick if you can- where there's just closed skin and no hair yet. See if you see stubble the next day.

Here is a before and after of my TB- these are about 6 months apart. I kept his tail braided and used MTG as often as described above, of course also obviously giving him better nutrition than he had been getting.
http://i53.tinypic.com/m9o8w7.jpg
http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...95b5b_full.jpg

I'm not sure what you mean in reference to retention of the growth- the rate of growth will not stay the same if that's what you mean, it only speeds up growth while it is regularly being used. The bit that grew will not weaken and break off, if that might be what you mean, but the tail does need to be properly cared for in general in order to gain and retain any growth, MTG or not. If you get a really nice tail grown out using MTG, you can stop its use but you have to baby the tail. The only thing MTG will really do will be to speed up growth, then maintaining that growth is up to you.

The TB pictured above was later sold, and now has a tail worse than in the before picture because it is left hanging freely and is rarely brushed, nothing put in it. A lot of horses do okay with that, but he naturally grows a bad tail, that's just him. I worked very hard to get it and keep it as full as it was.

toosexy4myspotz 09-17-2011 07:47 PM

I am going to suggest not using MTG. I have heard nothing but good things about it but I absolutely cannot stand it. My altime favortie thing is mixing equal parts water, listerine, white vinegar and maybe a tad bit of baby oil. Spray liberally on horses mane and/or tail and then let it dry and spray a show sheen/laser sheen whatever on or just leave the mixture on there. I use it every other day and I my appaloosa has the rat tail gene but his tail touches the ground. His mane wont grow but his tail grew like no tomorrow.

rocky pony 09-17-2011 11:52 PM

Curious, why do you hate it? Is it the smell, or the oiliness, or another reason?

For the OP, it is very greasy and smells strongly of what is debated to be either bacon or barbecue sauce :lol: but if you ask me it's more than worth it. I do recommend rinsing the tail, just rinsing it and not washing, on a somewhat regular basis along with the use of MTG, because of the grime factor. But the results are FAR unmatched by anything else out there.

Idlepastures 09-17-2011 11:55 PM

My friend had some in her tack box , and I used it the other day. I was not impressed with it, honestly. She loves it. It didn't get my paint very clean, IMO. However, I really like Vetolins shampoo. (Also...from her tack box :) LOL). She also has a red shampoo from Alto Vista (I think) and I LOVE it on my chestnut.

To encourage mane/tail growth, I suggest leave-in conditioner, and finger combing or braiding for protection. She uses MTG leave in, and I personally just don't like the way it smells, or the feel of it after it drys.

Idlepastures 09-17-2011 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky pony (Post 1176554)
Curious, why do you hate it? Is it the smell, or the oiliness, or another reason?

For the OP, it is very greasy and smells strongly of what is debated to be either bacon or barbecue sauce :lol: but if you ask me it's more than worth it. I do recommend rinsing the tail, just rinsing it and not washing, on a somewhat regular basis along with the use of MTG, because of the grime factor. But the results are FAR unmatched by anything else out there.

BACON! It smells like Bacon grease! UGH. Actually, I think it has a sulfur smell.

rocky pony 09-18-2011 12:16 AM

So there is an MTG shampoo after all? Or is it the Shapley's hi shine shampoos y'all are referring to? I'm lost lol

Yeah, I tend to lean towards the bacon x sulfer combo, too, lol!
I still can't imagine not loving the stuff though, I used to hate the smell (especially because I'm vegetarian anyway, hahaha!) but now to me it just smells like beautiful, life-saving hair growth :D
My mare rubbed off a big ol chunk of her mane just about two or three months ago that's already coming in like three or four inches long thanks to this stuff! It should be blending into the rest of her long, lovely locks before I even know it at this rate.

Idlepastures 09-18-2011 12:30 AM

This is the product I'm referring too. I guess it is 'Hi-Shine'. I thought it said MTG on it too. Same product line, though.
Product Details

toosexy4myspotz 09-18-2011 01:43 AM

Almost all my walking horses have longer manes and if you use it on a longer mane just to thicken it up i don't knowmif it's the oiliness or what but it causes rats nests in everybody's manes. I was so mad! I braid my horses manes and tails twice a day and always keep them clean. I had to bathe every single horse twice just to get this stuff off. I don't care about the smell but on a white horse it's absolutely disgusting at the amount of dirt and grim that stick your horses mane or tail in twenty four hour period. I spray the listerine, vinegar, water mix on everybody every other day and braid there manes and tails. All three of our walkers have there tails dragging the ground and manes past there shoulders our welch has a gorgeous tail that is just as thick as it can be and you can't even see his eyes from his forelock. It even worked miracles on my app. Also BOSS makes a huge difference

horseloverd2 09-18-2011 02:23 AM

I actually sort of like the smell of MTG. It's like a barbecue, smoky smell. Not something I would want in my hair, haha, but around the barn use is okay.

It does work, by the way. My friend uses it on her horses and they had significant mane growth. But she did a lot of other stuff to it too, such as brushing it a certain way and I think feeding a supplement of some sort.