The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   mounting (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/mounting-97776/)

prolandsurveyor 09-12-2011 09:34 PM

mounting

I got a 10 year old gelding. When I try to get on his back to ride him he starts walking....what is a good way to break him from that..I am brand new to this forum and its been 20 years since I have owned a horse...thanks for ur help in advance..martin
Posted via Mobile Device

Lakotababii 09-12-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prolandsurveyor (Post 1170992)
I got a 10 year old gelding. When I try to get on his back to ride him he starts walking....what is a good way to break him from that..I am brand new to this forum and its been 20 years since I have owned a horse...thanks for ur help in advance..martin
Posted via Mobile Device

Welcome to the forum!!

I usually make the horse circle around me. So if they move, pick up the rein you have in your hand (the left one if you are mounting on the correct side) and make them circle around you until they stop moving. Then attempt a remount, if they keep moving off, keep circling.

Oh and another silly thing. If I have already put my foot in my stirrup and my horse starts moving, I "hop" with him as I circle him. I keep my foot in my stirrup and hop. Sounds silly, and my horse looks at me like :shock: but he eventually stops. The reason is that I don't want him to learn that moving off makes me stop trying to mount. Don't do that unless you are comfortable with it and with your horse in general. I have found it a very valuable thing to do, as they don't win when you do this.

MHFoundation Quarters 09-12-2011 09:49 PM

Welcome to the forum!

When he takes a step forward, make him back up. Try again, if he walks back him some more. Backing = Work. Eventually he will figure out standing still is a whole lot easier.
Posted via Mobile Device

prolandsurveyor 09-12-2011 09:50 PM

Ah ok...I will try that....its starting to get on my nerves.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 09-12-2011 09:50 PM

lakota haha I do the same thing my foot does not move from the stirrup even if my horse tries to move off haha :]

prolandsurveyor 09-12-2011 09:52 PM

Its makes my wife nervous when he does that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lakotababii 09-12-2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian (Post 1171012)
lakota haha I do the same thing my foot does not move from the stirrup even if my horse tries to move off haha :]

well good I am glad I am not crazy :shock: lol. I always thought it probably looked silly, but it works wonders on my stubborn gelding. He is one of those horses that has a short attention span... haha. So I use this to remind him that I am still there :wink:

bubba13 09-12-2011 11:15 PM

Teach him to flex laterally from the ground, if he doesn't already know. Then bend him in to you as you go to mount. He may be able to circle around you, but don't allow him to do so, and he should soon tire of that, anyway.

jody111 09-13-2011 06:11 AM

I do the same with my young one - she learnt pretty quick - flexed her head towrds me so the only way she could go was round - she learnt pretty quick it was uncomfy and now stands perfectly still!

christopher 09-13-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakotababii (Post 1171005)
Welcome to the forum!!

I usually make the horse circle around me. So if they move, pick up the rein you have in your hand (the left one if you are mounting on the correct side) and make them circle around you until they stop moving. Then attempt a remount, if they keep moving off, keep circling.

Oh and another silly thing. If I have already put my foot in my stirrup and my horse starts moving, I "hop" with him as I circle him. I keep my foot in my stirrup and hop. Sounds silly, and my horse looks at me like :shock: but he eventually stops. The reason is that I don't want him to learn that moving off makes me stop trying to mount. Don't do that unless you are comfortable with it and with your horse in general. I have found it a very valuable thing to do, as they don't win when you do this.

sound advice