The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Worst Accident ~~Pics not for squeamish~~

7K views 49 replies 23 participants last post by  Phantomcolt18 
#1 ·
So today I was riding TC bareback and decided to do a little 12in jump...no biggie we've done them before bareback. We loped to the jump and he tripped before he took off so I lost my balance. He cleared it and as I was trying to right myself I accidently bumped him and cued him to rollback to the left. Needless to say I wasn"t ready for it and came off.

Instead of tucking and rolling I threw my left arm out behind me as I fell off to the right(big mistake). I was trying to get up when I realized I couldnt move my left arm....I looked at it and screamed bloody murder because of the way it was twisted.

My two friends ran over and stayed completely calm to help me. We all started singing and doing silly noises to keep me from thinking of the pain although it was excrutiating. My dad arrived to help them make a splint and I was rushed to the hospital.

Found out I dislocated my elbow and fractured my wrist. Fun, Fun, Fun haha. In all honestly the worst pain I've ever felt.

Here are the pics....don't look if you're squeamish haha...cause they ain't pretty.

Attachments

• 20.2 KB Views: 667
  • Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    26.9 KB Views: 678
  • 55.1 KB Views: 819
See less See more
#3 ·
Oh, honey :hug:. I've been there (not quite the same but pretty similar). I hope you heal up quickly and don't have any lasting issues with that arm.

They just put an Ace splint on it (solid half splint and Ace bandage to keep it immobile)? Not a cast? Surely they didn't have to do any surgery or anything right?

#5 ·
Oh, honey :hug:. I've been there (not quite the same but pretty similar). I hope you heal up quickly and don't have any lasting issues with that arm.

They just put an Ace splint on it (solid half splint and Ace bandage to keep it immobile)? Not a cast? Surely they didn't have to do any surgery or anything right?
Thanks smrobs....its a half fiberglass splint wrapped in a bandage. I have to have surgery on my wrist on Wednesday(they are waiting for the swelling to go down)...They knocked me out to pop my elbow back into place (thank the good lord) They said I may or may not need pins...they're going to do more Xrays on Wednesday to see because when they popped my elbow back into place they did more Xrays and sait my wrist looked better. I have to figure out how to post my xrays haha theyre pretty cool.

#4 ·
Cakemom- Oh yeah it hurt....I felt so bad for my friends' and dad's ears.....when I was laying on the ground was fine, calm.....but I knew they had to get me to the truck to go....dad picked me up while friend held my arm. That was the worst part it felt like my arm was being pulled off and I ended up screaming until I was in the seat. I didn"t mean too but the pain was so much I couldn't stop it till I wasnt moving.

I was trying to be as calm as possible with the nurses and dr. I was jooking with them smiling through the pain and trying to make them laugh. in doing all of that it kept my mind off the pain. They were all so kind to me and so gentle about moving my arm and myself around.....they apologized so mant times about having to cut my shirt and bra off but I told them I understood, and it was okay.

#6 ·
Oh, my. Then I have most certainly been there. Broke mine when I was 9 and ended up with 4 screws, a pin, and an external fixator to hold it all together.

That sucks so I really hope they are able to get yours set and get it to stay with just a cast. XX Fingers crossed that it's all okay and they can just set it like normal after the swelling goes down. And, just because I know how you feel... :hug:

#7 ·
Haha thanks Smrobs...Makes me feel a little better. I hope they can just set it with a cast...if not I'm officially gonna be a member of the nuts and bolts club haha....this is the worst injury I have ever had riding horses and I've been riding 11 years now. It was bound to happen eventually. I couldnt stay a member of the unbroken bones club forever haha

#9 ·
Outch! I hope u feel better looks like a ton of fun...not really. I hate accidents like that. And accidents can always have been worse (thanks god you had people there with you who kept you sane :) When I was younger I was jumping bareback like you but on the landing my horse tripped (and I saved it) but somehow he tripped again (wasn't expecting it and I flew over his neck...did a flip onto my back in the bald spot in the sand arena) broke my L1 vertabrate (but I didn't cry...still don't know how I managed that to this day) since then I have never left the ground on horseback... don't let that happen to you... I miss it a lot. Keep your spirits high and you'll be back to your normal stuff in notime!

#11 ·
Very sorry it happened! :( Hope you'll feel better soon!

#13 ·
Thanks guys.....had a very sleepless night as I don't know how to position my arm to make it painfree for sleeping. So in turn I was waking up every half hour....despite pain meds.

Always- Two reasons they snapped pics 1) my friend took (before my dad got there), while my other friend ran to get ice, so she could send it to her dad to ask how we should go about immobilizing and then moving it and 2) my dad took because I asked him to. I didn't want to look at it again because I needed to stay calm so I told him to take a picture so I could look at it later. You can see in the one picture my dad took the board they were shimmying under my arm at that time to make it immobile.=)

#15 ·
That was my fault:oops:....I told them not to because I didn't want the EMTs to try to pop it back into place(they did that to my cousin when he dislocated his shoulder and my cousin who feels no pain screamed) I have a high pain tolerance but not that high. :oops:

All in all from the fall to the time I made it to the hospital was 20 minutes. It took 5 mins for my dad to get there and 5 mins to get to the hospital the other 10 was getting ice,vet wrap, and the board moving it to the board(me telling them to stop a lot, and then moving me to the truck. We had called ahead so they had people outside ready to get me.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Xray pics!!!

Thanks guys! It definately hurts probably as much as you think it does haha. Trying to be a good sport about it though =)

I finally figured out how to post my xrays(had to convert picture type to jpeg)

The first 2 are the dislocation and fractured wrist.
The last 4 are after they popped my elbow back into place.

#23 ·
I can't see the wrist fracture (good thing I'm not a doctor), though--can you tell us where it is? :)
It looks to me like the wrist fracture is among the small carpal bones at the base of the hand. With them being so small and oddly shaped, it is hard to spot a fracture without being really familiar with how normal ones look.

Those x-rays are certainly interesting and they look painful. Wow.

#21 ·
Sabowin- I actually don'y know....he never showed me haha. Probably because I was still a little out of it from the anesthesia.

Tiny- Thanks. I've had close calls too. My luck just ran out. The worst part is it would have been a good fall if I just hadn't thrown my arm out behind me. And yeah it was my left arm....thank goodness I am right handed. Typing is a tad odd. I'm so used to using both hands but I can still move pretty quickly around the keys....it's just frustrating because I have to really watch where my fingers go and it's hard to capitalize stuff sometimes. Also therre are always a few spelling mistakes that I tend to notice later haha.

#25 ·
I'm sorry that look like it hurt. Hoping for a speedy recovery for you! It sounds like you handled it better than I would have, I'm a total wimp when it comes to pain :)

#26 ·
Just healing up from a wrist fracture myself - long bone (radius) and navicular or scaphoid bone. My horsey friends made jokes about whether they still shoot you if you break your navicular.... ha ha! No dislocated elbow, though - your x-rays made my stomach flip! That looked horrible.

The doctor in the ER told me to eat cottage cheese - it contains calcium, of course, plus K2 which helps the bone tissue lay down a web for the new bone cells to attach to. Very cool medical science discovery. Other foods that work are curd cheese (like cheddar) and probably sauerkraut and fermented soy (natto?). Anyway, it worked great for me - it healed faster than the doctor expected even though he said on re-check the fractures were worse than he originally thought.

Best of luck - keep us posted and we'll keep fingers crossed that you don't need pins...

#28 · (Edited)
Oh yeah girl! I did the SAME thing..not jumping though. I dislocated my elbow, cracked the joint in there and sprained my wrist... At first I thought it was really cool but then the adrenaline went away and the pain was awful. I had to wear a full arm cast for 3 weeks. I was extremely doped up but I sat up and yelled when the doctor popped it back in place. I think physical therapy sucked almost as bad as dislocating it...Hope you feel better soon! I know that's not fun. At least you'll have a pretty cool story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.