The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tackaholics Anonymous (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tackaholics-anonymous-97799/)

SorrelHorse 09-13-2011 12:37 AM

Tackaholics Anonymous

So. Admit it. Take the first step.

You have a problem :lol:

This thread is for all those tackaholics who go into a tack shop with ONE thing in mind but come out with something completely differant.

This is my worst story:

Equestrian Team meet this year. My english saddle pad got eaten by the puppy the night before, so the day of we high-tailed it to the nearest tack shop.

I went in for a basic white saddle pad.

But amongst the way I saw a tempting pair of beautiful jeans. Cowgirl Tuff, sparkley pockets...Irresistable. This followed by a cooler sheet that I thought would look very good on my chestnut jumper pony. A new pair of Ariat boots that we on sale (You know how women work. Asing us to stay away from good stuff at a great price is like asking any washington politican to say something thats not off the teleprompter. It's impossible.)

-cough-

Oh. And I also picked up a wonderful Kincade saddle. New leathers...New irons....

Because everyone needs a new set of tack for every single show. It's an important part of looking your best :lol:

smrobs 09-13-2011 12:42 AM

Oh, yes.

Hi, my name is Jen, and I am a tackaholic.

I once entered a tack store with the intention of buying a $5 pair of saddle strings, walked out with those...and a $65 breast collar, and 2 new halters, and a pair of spurs, and a saddle pad, and a new rope. My planned $5 trip turned into a $225 spree :oops:.

trailhorserider 09-13-2011 12:50 AM

Let's see, I have wayyy more tack than horses to wear it!

I have 5 western saddles, probably 15 bridles, extra bits (beyond those I have on my bridle sets), extra headstalls and reins, extra breast collars, halters galore (for some reason I always have lots of purple ones, nice color, but it's not like it's my favorite color or anything), saddle bags, saddle pads, saddle blankets (don't even get me started on my wool saddle blanket collection!), mohair cinches. Yeah, I guess I am a tackaholic. :lol:

You know it's bad when you buy things because they are pretty, and not because you actually need them. :oops:

Poseidon 09-13-2011 12:53 AM

Hi guys. My name is Sam..and I'm too broke to be an actual tackaholic. But, boy, if I had some money, I would have sooo much tack lying around...for a single horse. Though for a while, I had 2 bits in my bag of stuff for a horse that hates bits and doesn't use one..

I spend my random extra time window shopping online. Right now, I am on the Corriente website admiring the barrel saddles all the time. I want to save up and get one soon.

anndankev 09-13-2011 01:16 AM

Hi, my name is Ann, and I am a tackaholic.

It may have started with my Uncle Cecil, or at least with his saddle.

As a kid I used to spend parts of every summer with Cecil & Mary and their horses in Illinois. Then when he passed away his saddle came to my Mom.

We put it on an old Philco radio and I rode many a mile on it in the living room watching (and participating in) the Lone Ranger, Bonanza, and John Wayne movies.

I don't want to say how many saddles are in my living room at this moment; however, one of them is Uncle Cecil's.

Oxer 09-13-2011 01:25 AM

yep... it's true...
i too am suffering from Tackaholism.
I bought a BEAUTIFUL (and painfully overpriced) breast collar that my horse doesn't even need. But he looks like such a pretty boy with it on!!! I couldn't say no.

bubba13 09-13-2011 02:19 AM

I was good. I was looking at a new catalog today, and there were three bits I wanted--could have had them all for a total of $43. But I didn't even buy one. Figured my 50-odd out in the tack room aren't really all that lonely.

Thia 09-13-2011 02:29 PM

Hi! My name is Meaghan and I'm a tackaholic! :D I went in just to buy a new saddle pad and came out with :

*A new show shirt
*A pair of fancy looks like jeans riding breeches
*A double ear show bridle because it was pretty and on sale, hey I was planning on giving Western Pleasure a try (haven't had the occasion to use it yet, but you never know when you might need it:lol:)
*A very nice bracelet
*And the original reason for the trip - a saddle pad

I also can't bear to sell or give away any of my tack, no matter how many years it's been since I used it last. I have a shed full of tack that's just sitting around collecting dust, but you never know when i may have a use for it again! :lol:

Carleen 09-13-2011 02:33 PM

Hi, my name is Carleen. I am also a tackaholic.

Though, like Po I am too poor to be a true 'holic.

I have owned my horse for just over a year and he's already had multiple saddles (if they didn't fit properly, resold to buy a new one...), two bridles, about a million saddle pads and every kind of boot and trinket under the sun.

.Delete. 09-13-2011 02:38 PM

I think everyone in the horse industry is a tackaholic. The problem is especially with trainers you can never have enough of anything. Enough bits, enough saddles, enough saddle pads, boots, wraps, brushes, bridles, reins. I dont switch bits anymore i just buy bridles. Clark Bradley has over 100 bridles in his tack locker. Its insane.

Something is always lost or "not enough".