The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   9 months off (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/9-months-off-97802/)

Tayz 09-13-2011 01:18 AM

9 months off

So I took 9 months off riding because I had two rods put in my back and was not allowed to ride though I did get up on one horse I trusted and walk around a few times but I'm now allowed to ride and I'm allowed to ride again now and ready to start trotting again but im worried I won't remember how to trot. Has anyone taken along amount of time off and then got back in the saddle? How quick did you remember everything? Please I would loveto hear some stories thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 09-13-2011 01:33 AM

I haven't taken quite that much time off at once, but when I first moved away and started going to college, it would be anywhere from 3 to 6 months between times I was able to ride. I never noticed that I forgot anything, but I would tire easily and get sore quickly. My seat would be a little worse than it was before but it usually came back quickly. LOL, my Dad calls it "suffering from a case of basketball-butt" because your butt is bouncing all over the place:lol:.

It's similar to riding a bike. You never really forget but sometimes it can take a while for all the gears to start working in sync again.

horseloverd2 09-13-2011 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1171231)
It's similar to riding a bike. You never really forget but sometimes it can take a while for all the gears to start working in sync again.

Took the words right out of my mouth. You won't really forget how to trot. Your muscles might need some tuning though.

Tayz 09-13-2011 04:59 AM

Ok thankyou guys so much ive been really worried that it might not be the same and so hopefully its pretty easy to get the feel back

mumiinek 09-13-2011 05:25 AM

I took a 5 year break. You will never forget how to ride a horse. You'll feel your body isn't quite doing what you want it to do due to the weak muscles but all you'll need is practise, you don't need to learn to ride again. When I first got on a horse after 5 years I trotted and cantered more or less without a problem, I just felt like a mashed potato in the saddle. I couldn't use my legs properly, my hands were all over the place. After a few months of riding again I felt like I never had any break at all :wink:

Tayz 09-13-2011 06:27 AM

mumiinek- Thankyou so much for saying that, youve boosted my confidence. Im currently buying my first horse and before i get on him my friend rides him just in case and so that i can focus more on my seat and feel comfortable and hes a good horse and hes 16hh and ive gotten used to his height now so Im ready to trot him.

atomic 09-13-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mumiinek (Post 1171294)
I took a 5 year break. You will never forget how to ride a horse. You'll feel your body isn't quite doing what you want it to do due to the weak muscles but all you'll need is practise, you don't need to learn to ride again. When I first got on a horse after 5 years I trotted and cantered more or less without a problem, I just felt like a mashed potato in the saddle. I couldn't use my legs properly, my hands were all over the place. After a few months of riding again I felt like I never had any break at all :wink:

Ditto this! I took a 4 year hiatus and am just getting back into it, I'm still experiencing a case of the mashed potatoes but it just takes time and getting back into the swing of things.

Michelle and Mr B 09-16-2011 07:18 AM

I am currently still not riding and haven't been able to for just over a year now, I had an operation on my hip/pelvic area. I think the main thing for me when I do get back on board is to get on something dependable and I will have someone there just in case I need help. I do have my own horse who has had the year off so I am currently slowly bringing him back into work with lungeing and long reining but will not be back on him initially until I have done a bit more riding on another horse.

Tayz 09-16-2011 07:20 AM

Fair enough for that Im sorry to hear about your hip :(
It looks like i will not even be allowed to ride as my club has decided to not allow me to ride for no reason... :S

Michelle and Mr B 09-16-2011 07:29 AM

That doesn't sound very fair, surely they should let you know why. Is there anywhere else you can go in your area?