The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   John Lyons feed? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/john-lyons-feed-97837/)

christabelle 09-13-2011 05:08 PM

John Lyons feed?

I am a fan of Costco, and they sell this there for 13$ per 50 lbs. I just want to know if anyone likes this feed, or if it's ... Not so good. Costco carries good dog food and cat food, but I've never heard anyone mention this brand. I am interested in the performance feed for my hard keeping TB.

kitten_Val 09-13-2011 08:40 PM

Wow! I've never even heard about this feed! :shock:

loosie 09-14-2011 02:31 AM

What is the feed called? Is it by Nutrena? They make many different feeds, some sound OK, some sound not so good on their website, but they don't have ingredients listed either, so tell us what's in it?

smrobs 09-14-2011 04:07 AM

NUTRENA - John Lyons Signature Horse Feed

This is likely what the OP is talking about. It seems to me that many of the BNTs have some sort of "signature" horse feed. Shoot, Billy Allen has had his own line of sweet feed for 30+ years.

ETA: Duh, blonde moment on my part, it's late LOL. Of course you guys can google just as well as I can :oops:.

Kymbadina 09-14-2011 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1172333)

This is likely what the OP is talking about. It seems to me that many of the BNTs have some sort of "signature" horse feed. Shoot, Billy Allen has had his own line of sweet feed for 30+ years.

ETA: Duh, blonde moment on my part, it's late LOL. Of course you guys can google just as well as I can :oops:.

But its much nicer when there's a pretty link to click :)

I personally wouldn't trust a feed that didn't list ingredients. Maybe its a great feed but at $13 a bag.. your probably going to be feeding a lot yo meet the minimum per body weight/work load. Could be wrong but that'd just what I've noticed pattern wise. And I would never feed sweet feed. In my horse, just on strategy, it was like giving a toddler sugar and coffee and saying now sit in that chair for 10 minutes don't fidgit. Yea right :) I use good ole gro n win ration balancer.
Something to remember. They might feed "food's dog and cat foods. But if you want the best food, you go to specialty stores like petsmart or PETCO. There's a reason royal Canin isn't sold at shop n save. Not saying that's the best dog food either just an example of a higher quality feed than say kibbles n bits or (don't attack me) Purina.
Posted via Mobile Device

christabelle 09-14-2011 10:53 AM

Ok! Thanks guys... I missed the Nutrina brand on the bag. I guess that's why I coulden't find it. I don't buy the best dog food anymore. I liked to feed "honest kitchen's force" until the Doberman got big. I cannot afford to feed him that. He eats too much.
Posted via Mobile Device

bsms 09-14-2011 11:12 AM

Kirkland Dog food is fine.

Kirkland Dog Food | Review and Rating

Costco questions esp dog food? - BC Boards

Kirkland (Costco) Chicken & Rice Dog Food - BC Boards

I usually buy Lakin Lite to supplement the hay we get around here. Equidyne Complete during the winter.

Quality, nutritionally complete pelleted horse feed: Lakin Milling Company, Avondale, AZ

christabelle 09-14-2011 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=bsms;1172604]Kirkland Dog food is fine.

Thanks bsms, Kirkland is what I feed, because I read good things about it, and the price is right. Thank you for the horse feed info.
Posted via Mobile Device

kitten_Val 09-14-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 1172333)

Oh, THAT makes sense. I couldn't get if John Lyons now selling feed too... Hmmmmmm.... :lol: