The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Reins? Help... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/reins-help-9798/)

BluMagic 06-05-2008 11:26 PM

Reins? Help...

I am trying to work Blu on a looser rein but I feel like I have no control. I am working with and on leg pressure still but we can't seem to communicate without the bit. Could it be the bit? I have recently switched to a D ring with copper rollers. He likes it but I hate having to work him on such a tight rein all the time. Ideas?

JustDressageIt 06-05-2008 11:52 PM

Teach him to respond to your seat. For example, in the trot, post slower and lower, make him match your seat. Same goes for the walk and canter, but you have to think "slow" with your seat.
I would suggest instead of throwing your reins away, you keep the contact and teach him to stretch and take the bit downwards, while keeping contact with his bit.
Honestly, the bit should have very little to do with your riding. I can throw just about any bit in Dancer's mouth and adjust my riding for the correct response; from a snaffle to a pelham.

My attention span is that of a gnat right now, I'll be back to add more later.

BluMagic 06-05-2008 11:55 PM

Thanks for the reply JDI.

Um...I don't post. lol.

JustDressageIt 06-05-2008 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluMagic
Thanks for the reply JDI.

Um...I don't post. lol.

Thenk rock your hips slower, make him match your tempo - it's amazing how much horses respond to that. Posting might help until you get him responding.

BluMagic 06-05-2008 11:59 PM

I have only been loping in the roundpen so when I go to ride Saturday, I will ride in the 4-H arena and see what we can and cannot accomplish. lol.

JustDressageIt 06-06-2008 12:01 AM

That's another thing - circles. Make him circle until he slows down to your preferred speed, then let him go straight, then circle.. you know the drill.

BluMagic 06-06-2008 12:03 AM

Yes. I will do that! :) Thank you. I am going to wear spurs to help with some leg pressure. That might not be the greatest idea but sometimes circles aren't his cup of tea. :roll: Geldings.

farmpony84 06-06-2008 08:32 AM

circle circle circle...

also... tons and tons of halts... trot several strides halt, back, or change directions... also canter and halt, trot and halt... it should be all about the stop... let him anticipate the stop... it'll help with collection too...

Vidaloco 06-07-2008 07:44 AM

I'm not sure if this will help or not When I haven't ridden Vida for awhile I always do some flexing on the ground then in the saddle. I do lateral and vertical flexing. From the ground I just use the lead rope, pull down till she drops her head and release. I gently take her head to the side till she pulls her head to her side then release.
From the saddle, the same thing pull one rein to my hip till she brings her head around and stops then release. and both reins together till she releases at the poll drops her head then release.
I think it gets her giving to the bit when she hasnt had it in her mouth for awhile.

Jubilee Rose 06-07-2008 10:40 AM

I agree that the bit should have little to do with it. Reins shouldn't be used to balance yourself on. Real balance and control should come from your seat. Trying sinking down deep in the saddle and use lots of inner thigh pressure. It actually takes a lot of leg to get a horse to slow down. Not leg as in kicking with your heels, just constant pressure in thighs. Does this make sense? Do a ton of circles at a nice, slow sitting trot, forcing your body to relax and sit deep in the saddle. Roll your shoulders back and stick your chest out, using a little bit of inside leg. Hope this helps!