The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Whats so bad about a mustang (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/whats-so-bad-about-mustang-97995/)

Barn Boss 09-15-2011 09:25 AM

Whats so bad about a mustang

I was wondering why people dont like mustangs is it because some of them are wild.Thanks:D

Calmwaters 09-15-2011 10:01 AM

Actually I find that alot of people do like Mustangs. They make great trail horses when they have been trained the right way.

Speed Racer 09-15-2011 10:08 AM

I'm not sure where you got the idea that people on this BB don't like mustangs. Like any horse, there are good and bad ones.

What I don't like is all the hype and outright lies people use to promote them. They're not untouched by humans nor are they actually wild; they're feral.

People go on and on about the majestic wild horse, untouched by man for centuries, and part of our 'rich heritage'. Hogwash. If you want to honor an animal for being part of our heritage, it should be the oxen. They were the most common animal used by the settlers to pull their wagons and plows.

Mustangs are a mish-mash of dozens of breeds. Some turn out to be great horses, and others are food for predators. The weak don't survive out in nature very long.

Alwaysbehind 09-15-2011 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Boss (Post 1173669)
I was wondering why people dont like mustangs is it because some of them are wild.

Can you give us more information about your question? Why do you think people do not like mustangs? That will make it easier for us to answer.

Macslady 09-15-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Boss (Post 1173669)
I was wondering why people dont like mustangs is it because some of them are wild.Thanks:D

I don't get the feel from this board that we dislike mustangs, I think many of us don't like how the wild mustangs are being used and cared for by our government.

Alwaysbehind 09-15-2011 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macslady (Post 1173721)
I think many of us don't like how the wild mustangs are being used and cared for by our government.

I think many of us do not like how the mustangs are killing off land that is needed by native species too.

:wink:

Just saying.

Eolith 09-15-2011 11:43 AM

Mustangs can be a mixed bag, but there are definitely some diamonds in the rough to be found among them. People who like the "untouched" aspect (at least in my experience) like it because they know that the horse has not been ruined by past experience with humans (aside from the roundup process). I have been told that because mustangs are responsible for surviving on their own, they often "think things through" a little more and aren't as likely to do something completely stupid that ends up hurting them. This independence also means that they will rarely be one of those puppy-like in-your-pocket type horses. They can develop quite a bond with the person working with them, but it is more of a mutual respect.

I don't have anything against a mustang if it's a good horse. In fact, I have every intention of attending a Kiger adoption in three weeks and adopting a mustang.

Now, for the people who mistakenly believe that mustangs "belong" in the wild and should never be managed or tampered with... don't even get me started. As has been stated, they are feral animals that actually do much better when reunited with the species that initially brought them here and had so much to do with their breeding in the past.

Faceman 09-15-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eolith (Post 1173760)

Now, for the people who mistakenly believe that mustangs "belong" in the wild and should never be managed or tampered with... don't even get me started. As has been stated, they are feral animals that actually do much better when reunited with the species that initially brought them here and had so much to do with their breeding in the past.

You are the second or third person to say Mustangs are feral, not wild. Not trying to be a wise guy here, but do you know what feral is? If not, it is wild.

Wild is wild, whether never domesticated or feral. Feral simply refers to animals descended from animals that were domesticated.

I also respectfully disagree that they "do better when reunited with the species that initially brought them here". On what do you base that? While it is true that parasite control lengthens the natural lifespan of all horses, the same could be said of any grazing animal. Personally, I am of the opinion that Mustangs, as with all wild animals, are most content being left alone.

That doesn't mean I oppose capturing and taming Mustangs, or oppose people that own them. But it is, in my opinion, rather far fetched to say an animal is better off confined and used as a beast of burden than running wild to pursue its instincts, which is what brings it contentment...

PoofyPony 09-15-2011 08:32 PM

feral - definition of feral by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Faceman 09-15-2011 09:50 PM

Thank you...same definition wherever you look or research. Feral is a grossly misused and misunderstood term...