The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Portuguese Bullfighting saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/portuguese-bullfighting-saddle-98009/)

Red Gate Farm 09-15-2011 12:41 PM

Portuguese Bullfighting saddle

I may have the opportunity to purchase one of these.

I've looked up on line what they look like, and they are very similar to medieval saddles. I'm working towards riding with my local SCA (medieval group) and this saddle would certainly make the outfit look authentic!

Does anyone have any personal experience with these saddles? From my research it looks like a high pommel and cantle, sitting you deep into the cushioned seat with a "chair seat" style.

I would like to know how to size one for a Quarter Horse (slight build, needs a narrower gullet, WP breeding, around 14.2hh) and to me. I take a 16" in a western saddle.

Any stories about one? How comfortable (or uncomfortable) it is, the fit, is it comfortable for a horse, for long rides, for games?

Anything I should watch out for? Any idea what the general pricing on these are?

Thanks in advance :D

gigem88 09-15-2011 04:05 PM

My sister has an Alta Escuela saddle and it is extremely comfortable! She used it on the Azteca she use to own and the QH that is at my place.

Red Gate Farm 09-28-2011 12:25 PM

I had a chance to try out the saddle.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...i_T/saddle.jpg

It fit Chip, and I was able to sit in it very snugly. I had to shorten the stirrups a bit. It was comfortable and certaily hugged you! It felt different than riding in the western saddle I'm used to.

The only problem were those lower flap portions you see. Those prohibited my lower leg from contacting the horse's side, therefore I had no leg aids and Chip was unresponsive. I had to move my leg back, bend my knee into an uncomfortable (and unsecure) position to engage him with my heel.

I'm thinking the Portugese either don't ride with a lot of leg, or have long spurs to touch the horse's side.

It was disappointing, because in every other detail, I liked the saddle.

MySerenity 09-28-2011 01:07 PM

cool looking saddle though, that's very disappointing about the ride you get in it... is it new? It looks practically unused.

bubba13 09-28-2011 01:56 PM

Curious what a saddle like that costs...?

Red Gate Farm 10-03-2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySerenity (Post 1186179)
cool looking saddle though, that's very disappointing about the ride you get in it... is it new? It looks practically unused.

Yes it was new, only used a couple of times by the owner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubba13 (Post 1186205)
Curious what a saddle like that costs...?

She wanted $350.00 for this one. Not a bad price!

Allison Finch 10-03-2011 06:30 PM

I think once you break it in, it will flex more. I think it is reaaly perfect looking for Med. riding.

Phoresic 11-22-2011 03:13 PM

Red Gate Farm, if you aren't interesting in purchasing that saddle, I might be. Do you mind providing more information or passing my email address along to the seller?
The picture is no longer available, of course.
Thanks for any assistance.