The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   breeder report on pregnant mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/breeder-report-pregnant-mare-98054/)

Missdv 09-15-2011 10:57 PM

breeder report on pregnant mare

I just wanted the opinion of some knowledgeable folks to see if I'm nuts or what. My mare was pregnant when I got her (don't know when she was bred so still waiting), the woman who owned her had a friends stud come over to breed her 2 younger mares and another friends 2 mares. Mine ended up getting bred while still owned by the woman, I bought her 6 months later. Here we are a year later and the man who owns the stallion wants a breeder report on my mare because he never got a health certificate when she was bred. He said he will not turn over the papers without one, he also wanted me to get a DNA test before hand but a DNA screen is included in the registraion fee. They are Arabs and you cannot register them without a DNA test matching both parents.

I just wanted to know if I am being unresonable or is he, a health test a year later is no proof of anything, for all I know his stallion could have something from another mare, he's already been bred since. I know my mare is clean, I had a full exam when I had her palpatated, so I can call and get one in a day, but the fact that he didn't need one from the former owner, but now he wants one from me because he doesn't know me very well makes me mad, she was bred while owned by our mutual friend.

I did not ask for a bred mare and did not, nor would I breed her on purpose, and really am not worried about papers. I was playing with the idea of showing him, but may just geld him and train for trail riding. It's just the idea of it that steams me, and my friend moved away and is not taking my calls. We also found that she was not authorized to breed the other 2 mares so my other friend is in the same boat and has a 4 mo. old colt. Sorry so long!!!Any opinions or suggestions will be appreciated.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 09-15-2011 11:02 PM

Who's the stallion? Just so I never think of breeding to him. As for the health cert, I'd go ahead and give it to him so you can reg the foal. I feel really strongly that no horse should be robbed of its heritage and especially so for an Arabian. I strongly disagree with what the stallion owner is doing to you, the new owner of the mare.

Of course the rebel in me wants to tell you to tell the stallion owner to P*ss up a rope but that's not fair to the foal.

firelight27 09-18-2011 01:26 PM

I agree. While I would be sorely tempted to give the man a piece of mind for being such an unreasonable jerk, I would want to register the foal to try and help add just a little bit more protection for his future life. Say you got hit by a train (God forbid) and he had to find a new home. He would have better luck with papers. If you know your mare is clean and it is easy for you to get the certificate, I would. I would also mention to him that a DNA screen is included in the registration fee and that you don't really want to go to the extra expensive of doing it twice and see how he responds.

People are just jerks sometimes. Unfortunately it happens too often in the horse world.

Spyder 09-18-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missdv (Post 1174451)
Here we are a year later and the man who owns the stallion wants a breeder report on my mare because he never got a health certificate when she was bred.

All I can say is any stallion owner that does NOT get a clean health report BEFORE breeding shouldn't own a stallion.

I would like to say more to describe this stud owner :evil: but it would not fall under the realm of being within the etiquette policy of this forum.

I also believe you must have the foal registered within the first year of birth if I remember my Arabian registry rules correctly...correct me if I am wrong there though.

Kawairashii Ichigo 09-18-2011 04:46 PM

Papers aren't everything. It's a piece of paper. So long as the horse has a nice temperament, tries its best and makes you happy who really cares? I'd honestly tell him to piss off. You don't need to know its entire heritage to take it to some shows. Hell, I rescued my arab and we're looking to compete next summer. Personally I wouldn't give into a man giving me **** and asking me to dish out over a piece of paper any day. And like you said, you never asked for the foal, so why take his crap and just go along and be happy with your new foal? /end rant. Sorry if that sounded a little hard, I just hate when people get so worked up over a silly piece of paper. Yes it has a family history on it, and yes I understand some people really like to have this and know and be all registered and whatnot and some people probably want to strangle me for saying this but look at what it really is and think if it's something really worth getting worked up over.

Spyder 09-18-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawairashii Ichigo (Post 1177115)
Papers aren't everything. It's a piece of paper. So long as the horse has a nice temperament, tries its best and makes you happy who really cares? I'd honestly tell him to piss off. You don't need to know its entire heritage to take it to some shows. Hell, I rescued my arab and we're looking to compete next summer. Personally I wouldn't give into a man giving me **** and asking me to dish out over a piece of paper any day. And like you said, you never asked for the foal, so why take his crap and just go along and be happy with your new foal? /end rant. Sorry if that sounded a little hard, I just hate when people get so worked up over a silly piece of paper. Yes it has a family history on it, and yes I understand some people really like to have this and know and be all registered and whatnot and some people probably want to strangle me for saying this but look at what it really is and think if it's something really worth getting worked up over.

Well you know there is nothing wrong with being a backyard rider with no ambition to want to do more than take the odd trail ride and show in the local backyard schooling show...................

BUT
SOME actually want to show in breed classes that require papers.

Eliz 09-18-2011 05:12 PM

^
Agreed.

Also, if you ever go to sell the horse, and the horse is not registered, how will they know the horse is the breed you say it is?

AND papers help prove ownership!

JustDressageIt 09-18-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kawairashii Ichigo (Post 1177115)

Papers matter. As much as some wish they didn't, they do. it's extra insurance, if you will, especially for an Arab-type.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ladybug2001 09-18-2011 06:40 PM

528 Attachment(s)
Did I read something wrong? She was bred, you bought her 6 months later, its been a year since then and no foal? Or she did have the foal?

Nevermind, just didn't finish reading.

I think the breeder is being a bit unreasonable. Its not your responsibility what happened to the mare before you got her. He should go back to the woman who owned her for the health report and such. Though I would go ahead and attempt to get papers for the foal, gives him a good chance in life if you ever have to sell him.

Kawairashii Ichigo 09-18-2011 07:28 PM

Keep in mind she was talking about simply gelding him and using him for trail riding. :/ What's a few less papers or small showing if that's all she was going to do as her other option? Like I said, I personally don't think it's worth getting worked up over. If she wants to make sure it stays safe then give it that de-wormer that ensures your horse can't be used for meat. Talk to some friends and have one as a back up that if anything happened to her the horse would go to them. It's what I do anyways. Besides, I've seen PLENTY a horse with good bloodlines and papers go for meat that were in fine condition all because some old farmer got it a while back and didn't want it anymore. And I've seen plenty a horse without papers earn their keep. I'm not bashing people who like to have papered horses, I'm simply stating that not having a family history on a horse isn't the end of the world and certainly isn't worth getting so stressed over.