The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   New random white spots - I.e. How special is my horsie?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/new-random-white-spots-i-e-98097/)

MN Tigerstripes 09-16-2011 10:52 AM

New random white spots - I.e. How special is my horsie??

5 Attachment(s)
I'm bored and can't ride Soda right now, so this thread is the result... :lol:

About 2 (give or take) years ago Soda showed up with a white spot right in his girth region. It's about the size of a half dollar and was not the result of any injury.

This is the girth spot. Since it has appeared it has not changed size or disappeared. I circled it on the pic because he is so light in that area it is hard to see. Around the same time a small (about pencil eraser sized) spot appeared on his butt. It has stayed too.

Attachment 75049

Now in the last month he's shown up with 8-10 new small white spots. They're all about the size of a pencil eraser. I know the pics aren't the best (he is really dusty right now and the light was terrible), but here are some examples:

Attachment 75050

Attachment 75051

Attachment 75052

Attachment 75053

There are others, but the pics didn't turn out at all.

Any idea what could cause this? I thought maybe scars from bug bites, but none of these are where he got a noticeable bite.. It's not a big deal.. But as I said I can't ride him right now and I'm curious... So I find myself doing things like this.:lol:

XxemmafuriaxX 09-16-2011 11:04 AM

hahah those pics look like a bambi with not many spots :) cute

MN Tigerstripes 09-16-2011 11:08 AM

Maybe that's it... He's trying to convince me that he's actually a deer and I shouldn't be riding him. :lol:

mls 09-16-2011 11:15 AM

I am going to guess it's the after math of the horrible bugs we had this year.

iridehorses 09-16-2011 12:11 PM

Not unusual on some horses, they are called Bird Spots or Birdcatcher Spots. Medically, it's called spotted leukotrichia. No known treatment and it doesn't bother the horse at all.

MN Tigerstripes 09-16-2011 12:13 PM

Does it just show up later in life? He's 10 now...

Mls, that's what I thought at first, but none of those spots are in areas where he was badly bug bit (beyond mostquitos).

iridehorses 09-16-2011 12:18 PM

It can show up any time and it may stop or they may continue.

Monty77 09-21-2011 01:30 PM

When ideas he title I thought ill fitting saddle, but after seeing the pictures the birdcatcher spots make more sense.
Posted via Mobile Device

alforddm 09-22-2011 08:43 PM

Does his dorsal actually have a lighter stripe down the middle or is that just the picture?

MN Tigerstripes 09-22-2011 08:49 PM

It does actually split or have a lighter stripe down the middle. I should get a better pic of it sometime.

Since I've posted this he has developed probably 10-15 more spots. Weird horse.. If he wasn't healthy (beyond the never ending abscess) I'd be worried about him..