The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique for Sale Price (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-sale-price-98128/)

Clementine 09-16-2011 04:50 PM

Critique for Sale Price

Hi everyone!
I would really appreciate it if you could critique Percy. I purchased him last November as an Eventing prospect, which, it turns out, he doesn't want to be. So now I am considering selling him, and I was wondering what you think I could get for him. I would sell him as either a dressage or hunter prospect.

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ster/Percy.jpg

He is a 7 y/o unraced Thoroughbred gelding. He was never even race trained, and vetted sound w/ clean xrays when I purchased him - doesn't even have any splints! I have never measured him, but I believe he's 16.0-16.1 hh. He was started late, and was just walk/trot when I got him.

He is the mellowest Thoroughbred I have ever met - hardly anything bothers him. He can even be a little on the lazy side. He has extremely nice halts, and will stop dead from any gait if you sit back and breathe out.

He has jumped up to 2'9", is W/T/C, has leg-yields & shoulder-ins. We are located in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Please note: Since taking these videos & pictures, he has had a tendon injury. It is a trauma (most likely from a kick or knocking himself in the feld), not a tear or bow. Total recovery time is estimated to be less than 2 months, and he should still be sound for any discipline.

Here are two semi-decent videos of him:

Let me know what you think and/or if you need any additional information. Thanks!

pepperduck 09-16-2011 06:13 PM

Why don't you think he would cut it in eventing? Has he been shown? Are you planning on selling him right now with his tendon injury, or are you planning on waiting to advertise him until he is sound again?

Clementine 09-17-2011 12:49 AM

He doesn't have the competitive drive that an Eventer needs, and he doesn't like to work very hard, so galloping cross country is not his thing. LOL.

The only show he has done was a home show at my stable (albeit a large one). He did Intro A & B with scores in the 70s.

I would be selling him after he has had all of his time off. He has actually already had a month off, so it will be another month before he can get back into work, and I would list him after he has had a little refresher course. (So probably in about two months)

LoveTheSaddlebreds 09-17-2011 01:41 AM

I would totally trade my poneh for him xD She's got enough drive for two horses lol She's such a willing eventer pony xD

(just kidding.. about the trade..)

(OR AM I!?)

Rachel1786 09-17-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoveTheSaddlebreds (Post 1175720)
I would totally trade my poneh for him xD She's got enough drive for two horses lol She's such a willing eventer pony xD

(just kidding.. about the trade..)

(OR AM I!?)

Good looking horse...LoveTheSaddlebreds, it's probably because I've had a few drinks, but your signature made me lol so hard I almost spit my drink out :lol: I've probably seen it a hundred times, but I'm easily amused after a few drinks :-P

tinyliny 09-17-2011 01:54 AM

Well, hes a nice horse. I think he might do better in dressage, no? His trot is pretty nice, he seems to have a nice and loose back. He does seem a bit tight in the shoulder, like he doesnt reache either very far forward or far back. But he's very rythmic and unflappable. I think he's a really nice horse. I wouldnt' know what to price him at, though. So ,really I am no help. Sorry.

LoveTheSaddlebreds 09-17-2011 02:43 AM

BAHAHAHA it happens xD and thank you :3

smrobs 09-17-2011 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clementine (Post 1175689)
He doesn't have the competitive drive that an Eventer needs, and he doesn't like to work very hard, so galloping cross country is not his thing. LOL.

Mostly, I just wanted to commend you for considering what his temperament and drive was for the job you had invisioned. So many people would have pushed him to do what they wanted and turned him sour. :clap:

He is pretty upright in his shoulder, which could account for the limited mobility that Tiny commented on. Does he always stand so camped under on his front end?

Anyway, other than that, he looks like a nice little horse with an amazing temperament. Sorry I can't be of any help on pricing though.

Clementine 09-17-2011 01:18 PM

No, he doesn't usually stand so camped under in the front - he was trying to sneakily steal the treats I was holding in front of him. LOL. His shoulder isn't quite as upright as it looks there.

Also, he is barefoot in these videos. He has a pretty low heel (still trying to fix previous bad farrier work) so even though he has GREAT, solid feet, I'm going to get him shod w/ either corrective shimming or an egg bar shoe sometime this month. I believe that will make him a little more comfortable in the front end, and hopefully help to improve the reach of his stride.

AKBarbWire 09-17-2011 02:15 PM

What is the show horse market in your area? I think that would be one of the first things to research. I am in AK, hunters are in big demand up here especially if they are truly 16h and over. In our market I would think 4-5k, sound. ATM with the injury? Nothing. Sorry, I would not invest in a horse that was unsound at the time for any reason (if it was to be anything more than a pasture pet) & expect it to be sound again for showing. Too many variables in that one.