The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Life Span Question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/life-span-question-9822/)

Jubilee Rose 06-06-2008 03:32 PM

Life Span Question

Do you think a horse's life span depends on breeding? Do some breeds outlive others?

My mare is a thoroughbred, and she's also off the track. She is currently 17. One source I found on the internet said thoroughbreds live until 25-28 but can go past thirty with extra care. Here's the source: http://www.thoroughbredadoption.com/FAQ.aspx

What do you guys think?? I plan on keeping Jubilee going into her 30's!!

And ... if it is possible, how can I make sure she does live into her thirties? Is there anything I can do right now to ensure longevity?

PoptartShop 06-06-2008 03:58 PM

I think it can effect the lifespan. ;) Like, if the horse's bloodlines aren't good, or the genes & stuff are not up to par, then it can definitely effect the newborn.

Dumas'_Grrrl 06-06-2008 04:14 PM

It does... just like good genes here...My grandpa comes from a long line of men that lived well into their late 90's early 100's... and he has eaten every processed meat that was ever made..had 2 heart surgeries, a hip replacement and knee surgery and other stuff along the way... a hernea surgery and I think his appendix burst when he was a kid.....and hes gonna be 91 this year.. God bless that old fat man.......I love my gramps... lol

On the other hand.....some one that eats right and takes care of themselves with proper exercise and such should be able do that too..... but.........sometimes the body just wears out .....early.......

I would just do my very best to keep her healthy and enjoy her..she may only live to be 20....don't waste your time with what if... enjoy her now and do your best. :wink:

JustDressageIt 06-06-2008 10:55 PM

Re: Life Span Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubilee Rose
Do you think a horse's life span depends on breeding? Do some breeds outlive others?

My mare is a thoroughbred, and she's also off the track. She is currently 17. One source I found on the internet said thoroughbreds live until 25-28 but can go past thirty with extra care. Here's the source: http://www.thoroughbredadoption.com/FAQ.aspx

What do you guys think?? I plan on keeping Jubilee going into her 30's!!

And ... if it is possible, how can I make sure she does live into her thirties? Is there anything I can do right now to ensure longevity?

That is wonderful!! I'm so glad Jubilee has found her forever home! :D

Things such as diet should be talked over with a vet if there are any concerns. Glucosamine is great for older horses, it keeps the joints running smoothly.
Proper oral care is very important; good teeth are a must, so keep her on a regular floating program. Same goes for deworming and vaccinations.
Feed her good quality food, and if you have any concerns, talk it over with your vet!

Jubilee Rose 06-06-2008 11:09 PM

Re: Life Span Question

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt

That is wonderful!! I'm so glad Jubilee has found her forever home! :D

Things such as diet should be talked over with a vet if there are any concerns. Glucosamine is great for older horses, it keeps the joints running smoothly.
Proper oral care is very important; good teeth are a must, so keep her on a regular floating program. Same goes for deworming and vaccinations.
Feed her good quality food, and if you have any concerns, talk it over with your vet!

Yes, she has. I wouldn't give her up for anything. :D Thanks for the advice! The equine dentist is supposed to come out soon!

PaintHorseMares 06-07-2008 12:42 AM

I don't know for sure, but the breed may be part of it. One of the reasons we started with Paints was that I was told they (and QHs) were low maintenance horses (and they have been) and all the Paints at the breeder's ranch down the road have lived over 30.