The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   New Horse - White Face and Color ?'s (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/new-horse-white-face-color-s-98241/)

Whisper22 09-17-2011 09:47 PM

New Horse - White Face and Color ?'s

4 Attachment(s)
After much deliberation I decided I was once again going to sell Whisper. I know, that's getting annoying. But today I picked up my new horse so now it kinda has to happen.

So this is her. She's a 5 year old QH/Paint. The kind of broke horse that I need, so I'm very excited.

She has a white face and I've never really had to deal with that before. What works best for keeping their noses protected from the sun? Also, should I do anything specail for her white eye?

Any thoughts on her pattern and color? I know nothing about that stuff.

Whisper22 09-18-2011 12:12 PM

Any help would be appreciated. I live in Arizona and while it's cooling off a little, it's still almost 100 degrees outside. I've seen pink noses get pretty nasty and I really don't want that to happen to her.
As far as her color goes, I don't even know where to start. There's a lot of gray and a lot of red. I know she's a paint but what kind?

BarrelracingArabian 09-18-2011 12:32 PM

Sunscreen and a fly mask with the extended nose is probably your best bet. Shes a cutie though :]

BarrelracingArabian 09-18-2011 12:32 PM

oh and I'd say she was a sorrel/light bay that has gone/going grey

WickedNag 09-18-2011 12:37 PM

I had a horse with white or pink around the eye. I had the eye tattooed :)

Idlepastures 09-18-2011 12:41 PM

A full fly mask w/ nose cover for her face. I have to use one of my paint gelding.

I use a product from Nag horse ranch. Covers just his nose, but they make full face masks, too.

But this will also work too
Dura-Mesh Extended Fly Mask in Fly Masks at Schneider Saddlery

*edit*

Also, Mug balm face shield by mane tamer. has sun screen in it, works great. Baby sun block works well, too, but rubs off. Any zinc product, even baby diaper rash cream, will work to keep his nose and eye area protected. But fly mask is the best way to go.

Whisper22 09-18-2011 12:42 PM

Do I use horse sunscreen or can I use regular people sunscreen?

So the red will eventually be all gone? Is she considered a roan because there's a lot of white that comes through too?

Idlepastures 09-18-2011 12:45 PM

I use both. I use baby sun block, diarper rash cream, and the Mug Balm face shield, lol.

Whisper22 09-18-2011 12:46 PM

Oh ok, posted at the same time. Thanks everyone. I'll go with the fly mask for sure, and maybe mess around with different things to see what keeps her nose looking the best.

Idlepastures 09-18-2011 12:48 PM

Just fair warning, even with nose protection, my guys nose still always has a red shade
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x...-12-35_805.jpg