The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Would you consider this bad horse behavior? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/would-you-consider-bad-horse-behavior-98243/)

Dresden 09-17-2011 10:10 PM

Would you consider this bad horse behavior?

Lucky will test a new rider to see what he can get away with. He doesn't buck or bolt or anything but he will try to turn the way he wants to, break from a trot to a walk, attempt to stop at the arena gate, just generally see what someone will allow him to do. I did not let him get away with it and he doesn't do it with me any more. I consider this testing. Most horses I have known will test someone they don't know...I am assuming he'd do this with any new rider but the only person who has tried to ride him since I got him is my boyfriend.

My boyfriend( who grew up riding but has never had lessons and has only ridden twh's before) rode him yesterday. At first Lucky tried to turn etc, this "can I get away with this" kind of stuff. Afterwards my boyfriend told me my horse is badly behaved and needs serious work... we had a short argument because Lucky doesn't do that with me. Which leads me to believe he's either testing or its something the boyfriend is doing wrong. I am now getting serious attitude from the boyfriend about how "bad" my horse is...

Any thoughts or opinions? Its starting to tick me off a bit...
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 09-17-2011 10:35 PM

Being who I am and the level of horse I am capable of riding, yes, I would consider it a bad horse behavior. However, with that level of experience comes the knowledge that horses are just like people in many ways. Some will try to go against the grain no matter who they are hanging with or where they are. Others are completely mellow and obedient no matter who's riding them or what they're doing.

I like horses that are obedient and I do consider resistance a bad behavior, but I also know that it's just a part of some horse's nature and not something that can be trained out of them, so it's one of those behaviors that you just have to be aware of and handle on a moment to moment basis. Part of managing those behaviors is to properly match the rider with the horse. If I know that a horse will test new or unsure riders, I wouldn't put an unconfident rider on him...period.

thequarterhorseguy 09-17-2011 11:00 PM

I personally wouldnt call it "bad" behavior. But it certainly is not good behavior. Horses will do ANYTHING they can to cut corners. They want to see how much that can "cut" when they are with a rider. Also it depends on the rider. If the rider is a very firm and confident rider the horse will try less. For example if my mother rides my horse he constantly misbehaves because she doesnt discipline him. But with me he knows my spurrs are only a few inches away and my long split reins are ready to be swung. Therefore he tries nothing with me. So i think its a mix between normal horse behavior and the rider.

Dresden 09-17-2011 11:07 PM

I guess my perspective is that yes he behaved badly for my boyfriend. But the boyfriend is saying he's overall a bad horse. I honestly didn't know Lucky would behave that way as my problems with him have been minimal from the beginning. From the ground it looked to me like my boyfriend was turning him (the applicable rein seemed to be pulled) so I didn't even know he was having trouble while he was on the horse. I had warned the boyfriend about the arena gate as Lucky did used to try to stop with me there but he seemed to go past it with a nudge.

I don't even know if its part of his nature as he just goes along for me. He's not perfect or push button yet, that's for sure, you have to actually ride him. So my follow up questions, smrobs, as I do really respect your opinions on things is, how do I tell my boyfriend (who is thoroughly convinced he knows more about horses than me and probably just about anyone else) that Lucky may not be a good match for him yet? How do I word that so he doesn't get offended? If its not part of Luckys nature I would like for him to be more push button someday but I don't know what his issue was. I would consider myself a beginner and I don't struggle with him ( not on these issues anyway).

My issues with Lucky are different. He doesn't always like to pick up his right lead, he used to pull the reins but thanks to some advice here he very rarely does that any more and only once before he gives up...we are working on all that and he improves quickly. I guess I have trouble picturing him as disobedient since he isn't with me. Thank you for the different perspective.
Posted via Mobile Device

smrobs 09-17-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dresden (Post 1176513)
So my follow up questions, smrobs, as I do really respect your opinions on things is, how do I tell my boyfriend (who is thoroughly convinced he knows more about horses than me and probably just about anyone else) that Lucky may not be a good match for him yet? How do I word that so he doesn't get offended? If its not part of Luckys nature I would like for him to be more push button someday but I don't know what his issue was. I would consider myself a beginner and I don't struggle with him ( not on these issues anyway).

Some horses just click with some people and that may be a big part of your success with Lucky. As for telling your boyfriend, if it was me, I would just be straight up honest with him. Tell him that you don't think he is a good match with Lucky and that would explain his trouble with him. Let him know that Lucky needs a rider that knows what they want and how to ask for it properly. If he's still convinced that he knows better and that Lucky is just a bad horse, then it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to tell him that he's welcome to not ride him again.

Then again, I'm more blunt than a lot of people are comfortably able to be :lol:. IMHO, you shouldn't need to worry about *****footing around his feelings quite so much. If he is that easily offended by you stating your opinion of your own horse, then that's his problem.

Dresden 09-17-2011 11:55 PM

I tend to be rather blunt too. Which is why I was looking for a nicer way than how I would phrase it on my own lol. After reading your posts I should've known you are even blunter than I. What was I thinking ;) We live together and share expenses so while Lucky is my horse, its a tiny bit more complicated than just "he's mine, shut up". The boyfriend thinks he needs to go to a trainer. I would rather invest in lessons to improve both of us (or even the 2 of them if boyfriend wished) because Lucky doesn't need to be sent off. Not clicking won't be solved by a trainer. I'm rambling. I'm sorry. My frustration over fighting with the boy about the horse is getting to me. Thank you for the advice. I always feel special when certain people here comment on my threads and its not entirely negative :)

And he will be offended. But he's an adult. He will deal. His whole family is like that with the horse thing. They backyard bred worthless horses for awhile so they know it all. One of their train wrecks is the horse I came off of resulting in a severe concussion. If that's a well behaved horse I will take Lucky any day! We've already gone a few rounds about the bit I ride Lucky in as they seem to think all horses should be in small twisted wire curb bits. They treat me like a moron when it comes to horses because I grew up riding qh's(always stated with an air of disdain). Okay now I'm just ranting. Sorry about that.
Posted via Mobile Device

VelvetsAB 09-18-2011 01:50 AM

Suggestion of what to say...

"Well, if anyone should have issues with this 'bad' horse, shouldn't it be me? Cause since you have sooooo much more riding experience and knowledge then me, he should go better for you, right?"

Hmm. Maybe too much sarcasm?!

Ask for reasons why the horse should be sent to a trainer, and the answers should be asked with another why (5 times).

Sample... Why should Dobbin go to the trainers? Because he is bad. Why? Because he doesn't obey. Why? Because of rider error.

Since you get to rider error, maybe the bf should be sent to the trainers.

Make sure any theory he has about sending Dobbin to the trainer has a substanstial weight behind it. Be lawyerish and poke holes in that theory, till there is no more reasoning available that would be a good reason for a trainer.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 09-18-2011 02:32 AM

Well, your boyfriend oughtta know better than to call your horse bad. He can think it, but he can't say it!

Dresden 09-18-2011 08:48 AM

Love it, Velvet. And I agree, tiny! Obviously the boyfriend isn't that well behaved either lol
Posted via Mobile Device

thesilverspear 09-18-2011 08:52 AM

Sounds like the boyfriend needs the training, not the horse.