The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Polos v. Boots (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/polos-v-boots-98283/)

ElizabethClem 09-18-2011 12:06 PM

Polos v. Boots

The age old queston...

Pepsi or coke? lol I'm kidding.

What do you guys prefer Polo's or Boots?

I used to prefer boots to no end because I sucked at polos but now I know how to do polos right and I use them on my man.

And I know both are used for extra support but exactly *why* and *where*? I was never really taught the reasoning behind either of them just that they're good to have for schooling.

MySerenity 09-18-2011 03:58 PM

I'd like to know as well. I use polos for my O/F lessons (and suck at putting them on, I use black ones on my bay so they stand out less) but I'd like to use boots for trail riding since it's easier and burrs don't stick to them as much.

Not really sure what is actually better vs. what is convention/accepted

BarrelracingArabian 09-18-2011 04:27 PM

I personally prefer boots as they just (to me) seem to work better for my horse and arent as difficult to keep neat and tidy. Also they aren't as easy to mess up (an incorrectly wrapped polo will do more danmage then help).

Kayty 09-18-2011 05:29 PM

I prefer polos for the support they give, however I use full sling boots on all 4 legs with bel boots on front legs when just working at home under normal circumstances as they are far quicker to apply.

I strongly disagree with the use of polo's just for looks that some people choose to use them for. If you do not know how to apply the correctly, don't use them at all. Badly wrapped polo's can cause a horse's legs a hell of a lot of grief in the form of bandage bruising and tendon damage. Just don't do it!

Deschutes 09-18-2011 08:16 PM

The Festival I work with use polos and we try to drill into our people how to correctly wrap them, knowing the consequences if not done properly.

The purpose of boots/polos is to give added support to the tendon/leg of the horse, just below what we would assume to be the 'knee.' When our horses are used, we do not even think twice about riding them for any length of time [unless we're on a walking trail ride just along the grounds] in the arena because the hard ground would hurt their legs temendously.

Where I live currently, the earth is so hard, sandy and dry, it has absolute no give to it.